As the Director, Accelerator Operations you will have a unique impact on Techstars’ global programs and the entrepreneurs, community leaders and overall Techstars’ network of over 10,000+ mentors and investors. You will lead the teams responsible for the systems, processes, tools, training and implementation needed to deliver on Techstars’ promise to be the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed.
The successful candidate will have strong and proven team leadership experience in an operational delivery role seeking out inefficiencies, redesigning workflows and evaluating process and systems for improvement. This role works closely with teams from Techstars’ Accelerator Programs, Legal, Sales, People Ops, and Marketing. It requires excellent interpersonal and management skills, as well as clear verbal communication, strong writing, project management expertise, process and systems redesign expertise and a high level of attention to detail and follow-through. The team is distributed globally, so the ability to manage remote staff from different cultures is critical.
Operations experience with a focus on designing and implementing tools and processes where none may exist and a view to creating a scalable organization is required. Familiarity with early-stage venture-backed companies and the start-up ecosystem are huge pluses.
- Continuous Improvement
- Drive continuous system and process improvement through analysis and collaboration, ensuring that all processes are scalable and support a high-growth organization.
- Capture processes and map workflows to identify opportunities for improvement
- Use data to make the business case for prioritization
- Continuously reshape department best practices to provide the highest internal and external customer satisfaction, while ensuring that SLA levels are achieved and CSAT scores remain high
- Research new technologies, tools and alternative methods for efficiency improvements
- Leverage and encourage the use of qualitative and quantitative data to drive decision making
- Accelerator Operations Delivery
- Lead and coach a team of geographically distributed, high-performing individuals who are operationally minded and detail-focused to accomplish the goals of the department, maximizing quality and exceeding customer expectations
- Responsible for management and delivery of accelerator onboarding, best practice sharing and ongoing operations support
- Provide outstanding leadership to team members, including ongoing and relevant feedback, opportunities for learning and development, and coaching
- Track key performance indicators (KPI) for the department and manage to standards
- Provide effective team and project management duties, including overseeing project completion timelines, monitoring project costs, and ensuring internal and external customer needs are met
- Tools and Knowledge Sharing
- Ownership of the Accelerator Knowledge Base including standards and new best practices
- Ascertain which communication channels are most successful at engagement and share appropriate information through identified channels
- Planning and Budgeting
- Assist in strategic planning for the department
- Work with the VP of Operations to develop accurate team budgets and manage within those
- Liaise with other departments to ensure the operations team is effectively aligned with other delivery business units, including technology solutions
- Manage day to day relationships with any third-parties the department works regularly with to ensure smooth procurement and delivery of products and services
- Traveling as needed (observing program teams, team meetings, events)
- Excited about supporting the Techstars mission
- 5+ years of expertise identifying, designing and successfully implementing system and process improvements in partnership with key stakeholders and IT/Engineering, with measurable results
- Lean and/or Six Sigma certification a plus
- 5-7+ years of direct people/team management responsibilities
- Effective decision-making process and skills, including analyzing data to drive decision-making
- Strong in-person and written communication skills
- 3-5 years in a fast-paced startup or growing company
- Experience developing budgets and goals
- Track record as a self-starter with strong problem-solving skills and process improvement focus
- Experience working within the startup community, co-working or accelerators a plus
- Fits the Techstars’ culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative, give-first)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Preferably located near a Techstars accelerator program
Compensation range: $125,000 + and 10% Bonus
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,200 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $29 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.