Compensation range: $2,500 - $3,000/Monthly
The Techstars Equitech program, run in partnership with UpSurge Baltimore, is a new accelerator focused on investing in startups through the Equitech lens - prioritizing leadership by underrepresented founders, diverse teams and solutions that aim to address systemic societal challenges.
Our partner, UpSurge Baltimore, was launched earlier this year to make the city a top-tier innovation hub. Using the Equitech framework to carve a place in the national innovation conversation as the first-ever inclusive tech economy.
As a Design Associate you will help support the first amazing class of Equitech startups, as they grow from early-stage to venture-backed companies. It’s a chance to broaden your network, get exposure to Techstars mentors, and work alongside these up and coming companies.
Historically, many associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they meet during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies or go-on to support and invest in future companies.. This is an incredibly unique experience to learn how a startup is built by founders and an opportunity to play an instrumental role in supporting their quest to scale.
General Job Description
We are looking for dynamic designers who love getting involved in many different aspects of design. From graphic design, to UI/UX, and even physical print design, you should be able to assess the needs of the companies and create beautiful and impactful materials. Whether it’s creating unique and memorable logos, pitch decks or presentations, you’ll be consulting with multiple top caliber startups as your clients over the course of the three month program on their branding and marketing strategy.
- Great understanding of content and how to translate it into various visual forms of expression.
- Self directed, solution oriented, and ability to work autonomously
- Experience working in an face-paced, iterative design environment including giving and receiving feedback
- 2+ years of design experience, preferably in a start-up environment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and the ability to bring order to unstructured problems.
- A positive outlook, desire to learn and meet new people, lots of energy and enthusiasm.
- Authorized to work as a contractor in the United States.
- Currently live in Baltimore, Maryland or would be willing to live here for the duration of the program.
- Naomi Lane - Becoming a Techstars Associate (for the second time)
- Vlad Romanov - My Experience as a Technical Associate at Techstars
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Duc Luan Dam - Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is an investment and innovation group that connects entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and city governments to solve challenges across industries and geographies. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.