Techstars is looking for an ambitious, flexible, accounting professional to jump in and get their hands dirty in all aspects of fund accounting and reporting. This is a great opportunity for someone to join a fast-growing global organization, make an immediate impact, with plenty of learning and development opportunities as we grow. The Senior Fund Accountant will be responsible for various tasks and activities supporting Techstars’ venture capital funds, internal investment vehicles and 40+ accelerator programs around the world. This person must thrive under tight reporting deadlines, while continually considering ways to automate and process improve. This position will report to the Fund Controller.
- Own preparation of quarterly financial statements, capital account statements and portfolio summary reports
- Manage general ledgers and ensure cash and investment activity is reconciled and recorded timely
- Assist with preparing and reviewing distribution calculations
- Prepare complex valuation of special purpose vehicles and allocations across multi-tiered fund structures; carried interest accruals across many funds and programs ● Understand and analyze fund limited partnership / operating agreements and build management fee and waterfall models
- Assist with preparing and reviewing of capital calls
- Assist with various regulatory reporting requirements, both US and international ● Ensure new investors are successfully onboarded and respond to investor inquiries timely
- Own and manage fund audit process and assist with year end tax preparation for assigned funds
- Review and interpret various types of financing and M&A documents and related impact to portfolio company valuations
- Perform financial analysis by collecting, organizing, analyzing, and explaining large data sets with the ability to clearly communicate findings
- Prepare research and analysis in such areas as investment performance, fund performance and fund expenses
- Ability to scale systems and processes in a fast growing organization ● Manage elements of a system implementation to ensure the integrity of data and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance
- CPA preferred
- Expert Microsoft Excel skills required
- Expert knowledge and understanding of US GAAP, investment company accounting (ASC 946)
- Understanding of valuation methodologies specific to venture capital and application to complex capital structures
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail and the ability to see and understand the bigger picture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required; experience with partnership accounting systems, Salesforce a plus
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve and take complete ownership of work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Strong work ethic and initiative with a very positive attitude
- Good sense of humor, ability to adapt to change, no job too small attitude
Compensation range: $80,000 - $90,000 + 10% Bonus
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.