Are you deeply passionate about a mission to catalyze community healing; economic development; racial and economic justice; and wealth creation in Tulsa, Oklahoma - the home of historic Black Wall Street - and across America? Do you believe that entrepreneurship can change lives, communities and the world? Are you committed to collaborating across teams and within ecosystems to recruit and support outstanding cohorts of diverse entrepreneurs? Does your commitment to excellence fuel your ability to drive impact locally and nationally. If so, read on...
As part of Build in Tulsa’s 3-stage pipeline, Techstars is seeking a Managing Director (MD) who can take the helm and lead the Techstars’ Build In Tulsa Accelerator and investment strategy. As Techstars’ Build in Tulsa MD, your focus is to invest in the best underrepresented founders and support them from ideation to exit. You will actively recruit, select, mentor, and guide these diverse founders through challenges, critical decisions, strategy, tactics, securing investment procurement, hard decisions, and celebrating their wins. You will be directly supported by the Techstars Build in Tulsa’s Program Manager (PM), who will focus with you on program operations and together execute the Techstars’ proven playbook and deliver the best possible experience for Founders in your program.
The Techstars MD will set the program’s strategic direction and investment thesis, including developing a curated team of mentors, investors, and business relationships that will help teams work toward product-market fit, scale, and build customer bases. In addition, the MD will have ownership of the program’s success and will partner with Techstars’ operations teams and global network to ensure the exceptional delivery of Techstars programming.
As Techstars MD, you will report directly to Techstars’ General Manager and join a team that spans the globe. Given that the foundation of Build in Tulsa is the legacy of Black Wall Street, this position is located in Tulsa, Oklahoma where you will be expected to be working on the ground with the support of Tulsa’s growing technology and entrepreneurship ecosystem. As part of the Build in Tulsa team, you will play a role in turning good entrepreneurs into great entrepreneurs; building market-making and market taking companies; and in doing so, bringing positive change to the technology sector, diverse communities, the American economy, and America itself. Are you up for the challenge?
Duties and Responsibilities:
- While Build in Tulsa is agnostic in terms of the entrepreneurs it is recruiting and supporting, Tulsa is home to six sectors that are already thriving: Ag Tech, Aviation (ex: unmanned aerial vehicles aka drones), Cyber, Ed Tech, Energy Tech and Health Innovation. Two thriving areas of cross-collaboration are cyber and analytics. The Managing Director will develop a broad investment thesis with these growing sectors as strong national foundations on which to build.
- Create and nurture a broad and diverse network of founders, mentors, and investors.
- Partner with the Program Manager and associated teams to create a holistic strategy and delivery plan and then own the successful execution of the Techstars Accelerator and associated programming.
- Sourcing, recruiting, and making the initial investment decisions in all companies selected.
- Partner with internal Techstars’ teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of diverse founders.
- Represent Techstars in Tulsa and across America. Mentor and support other programs; work on strategic initiatives; and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars ecosystem.
- Entrepreneurial empathy - must have founder experience and have preferably been through both success and failure as a startup CEO.
- 10+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital.
- Must be a demonstrated leader of leaders with a core understanding of servant leadership.
- Possess a strong investor mental model and demonstrated results of investment decisions - good and bad.
- Comfortable working with a minimal amount of direction
- Ability to command a room, speak publicly and galvanize a community. Fits Techstars’ culture of #givefirst; has an entrepreneurial inclination; is focused on high-quality outcomes; and is network focused.
- Has expertise in term sheets, negotiations, and fundraising.
- Understands the value of scalable systems and processes.
- Has developed and can activate a diverse network.
- Degrees are welcome but not required. Show us what you have done, and can do beyond what you learned in school.
Compensation range: $130,000 - $170,000 + $25,000 bonus + Program Carry
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,200 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $210 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.