The Chief Brand and Communications Officer will bring a track record of successfully building widely known brands in a decentralized environment. With a passion for working with and supporting entrepreneurs. They will bring a relentless focus to helping entrepreneurs succeed and building the brand of Techstars portfolio companies.
This leader will be used to operating in a global context; will be a well-rounded communications professional who brings experience of all aspects of the brand and communication function, including both external and internal communications functions. They will bring significant skills, including strategic message development, issues and crisis management, and will have excellent interpersonal communication skills, as well as a sense of gravitas and confidence that leads to natural authority through interpersonal style and presence. Smart, numerate, and with a high EQ, the leader will be capable of quickly switching between high level strategic topics and daily, operational topics in multiple environments.
The ideal candidate will have a clear understanding and a quick grasp of complex business principles, with the ability to manage and shape Techstars overall content agenda to support and advance the firm’s strategic objectives. This, of course, will require an in-depth understanding of economics and public policy, as well as client interests.
Having experience within rapid growth environments would be highly advantageous, as would previous personal entrepreneurial experience.
Experienced Brand and Communications Leader
- Communications leadership roles in prestigious and dynamic, agile global organizations with a highly public reputation. ▪ Day-to-day handling of relationships, brand-awareness, communications, and managing reputation risks.
- Hands-on experience with a record of providing insightful advice and taking effective action to enhance reputation in fast-paced circumstances.
- Established relationships with thought leaders and influencers throughout a wide range of media, financial industry, start-ups, and public authorities.
- A team builder and collaborator, experienced at recruiting, retaining, motivating, and mentoring a team of high-performing professionals.
- Demonstrable experience of using and working with complex data to drive business decisions and improve outcomes. Comfortable working in a highly metrics-oriented environment.
- Brings highly relevant and credible experience in managing successfully in a decentralized environment. Successful experience in operating at the top of organizations, with regular exposure to senior decisionmakers, internally and externally.
- Ideally, has sat as a member of an executive team and is used to operating and managing a team across multiple geographies, including Asia, Europe, and the USA.
- A track record of developing reputation-building strategies and executing them for a high-profile, global company/brand.
- Successful experience in operating at the top of organizations with regular exposure to senior decisionmakers, internally and externally.
- Evidence of an outstanding ability to build strong, durable networks.
- Comfortable in a flexible, fluid, and occasionally ambiguous operating environment, where initiative is encouraged and rewarded, and collaboration is key for success.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
- Enables higher performance by incrementally improving approaches based on calculated risks and benefits.
- Benchmarks own performance against industry best practices.
- Proactively seeks to improve processes and implement best in class solutions, raising quality and productivity in a calculated way.
- Identifies new processes and/or systems to improve productivity and/or make the business more efficient.
Collaborating and Influencing
Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organisations and/or the situation, e.g. networks.
Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organisation, tapping their motives and values to energize them. ▪ Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root beliefs or culture.
Systematically builds support at multiple levels and across groups. ▪ Builds ongoing partnerships with key stakeholders to create opportunities with wide scope.
Builds partnerships across barriers never previously crossed, e.g. with competitors or culturally opposed institutions or groups.
Creates self-reinforcing processes and culture to continually reinforce diversity in the organisation and industry.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
The Chief Brand and Communications officer will have a strong drive for quality execution and excellence, combined with a ‘can do’ attitude. They will have the ability to develop and simplify messages about a variety of topics, business disciplines and industries. This executive will be highly resilient, non-hierarchical, and have both high integrity and a strong sense of fairness. They speak up and dissent if required, and express opinions based upon facts. Importantly, they will have a high EQ, with well-developed negotiating skills and an ability to navigate the Techstars organization.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.