Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this Role
Come be a part of a team of designers passionate about creating beautiful and inspiring design experiences that help athletes train, connect, and reach their full potential.
As a Director of Product Design you will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from brainstorming the next great product innovation to tweaking pixels right before launch. You will be part of our design leadership, helping to shape the vision of the Strava experience. And you will be part of design management, working with our design team to help them realize their own potential through mentorship and growth opportunities. You will be perfectly positioned to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills and own an area of the Strava product design experience.
This is a pivotal role on the Design Team – you should be comfortable engaging with the strategic dimension of work, strong on interaction design, and have keen eye for the visual execution. Your contributions will be just as much to the strategic thinking and rationale behind ideas as in executing them. You must be able to make confident design decisions, and be smart and persuasive in bringing others with you.
We’re excited to welcome you as a team member as we build the next big sports brand.
- Partner with Product Management, Engineering, Product Marketing, and other stakeholders to oversee the creation, development, and iteration of our products
- Recruit and hire a team of amazing product designers and help build our design culture
- Mentor and guide designers, helping to develop their work and career path
- Work to create a design language that integrates our brand, speeds our development, and creates a high quality product experience for our community of athletes
- Lead with insights by translating quantitative and qualitative input so that our teams can build the right solutions ensuring product market fit
- Help design lead the product conversation through great vision and strategy
- Roll up your sleeves and contribute wherever needed
- 10+ years experience working across multiple projects, leading teams and creative output
- Have built teams of high-quality design talent
- Success designing for diverse groups of people (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for people with disabilities).
- A history of developing product vision and strategy and helping peers translate that into product roadmaps and experiences
- Excellent verbal and visual communication, including art direction, storyboarding, visualization, and design feedback
- Commitment to great design culture and the personal growth of team members
- Ability to lead teams across multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Deft group facilitation and stakeholder management
- Strong communication skills that help shape a vision and rally a team towards success.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.