Sponge has built a global reputation for pushing boundaries in the digital learning space. Our customers include companies whose products you might use every day, through to smaller companies looking to upskill their people to stay one step ahead of the competition. We design effective and engaging learning applications focused on making a difference to the lives of our learners.
There’s no greater gift in life than an education. Want a job with a purpose? Then join us to help deliver unforgettable learning.
Role and responsibilities
As a PHP Developer you’re responsible for the middleware between the front-end apps and back-end APIs. We’re using a PHP based headless CMS called Craft CMS developing applications used in our eLearning products. Other responsibilities of the role include:
- Working with Front End Developers to develop applications.
- Working with Back End Developers to integrate RESTful APIs.
- Design, build, test and deploy modern PHP applications.
- Troubleshoot and optimise applications.
- MySQL/MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases.
- Creating and maintaining application documentation.
- Writing automation tests.
- Working in a cross-functional agile Scrum team.
Experience and qualifications
- Preferably a bachelor's degree in engineering or science, but we will consider other degrees for the right candidate.
- At least 3+ years of PHP7 application development and associated frameworks (e.g. Symphony, Laravel, CodeIgniter, CakePHP).
- Knowledge of building or maintaining CMSs, preferably headless.
- Familiarity with SQL databases, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Security best practise.
- B2C or B2B product development.
- Experienced with Agile software development.
Location (Bristol, Edinburgh or Plymouth)
We have a mix of home and office working because we believe both are necessary for a high performing team. We know you need some time to concentrate and avoid constant commuting, so homeworking is essential, but we also feel face-to-face time is important too.