SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution of the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced metering, monitoring, and control technology. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries, and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient, and informed players in the energy market.
SPAN’s Power Electronics group seeks an experienced and driven Sr Staff power electronics engineer to be instrumental in developing market-leading converters hardware through all stages of the product’s lifecycle. In this role, you will drive the efforts to research, develop and optimize our power system portfolio integrated with SPAN’s panel, grow SPAN’s IP, and collaborate with software, firmware, controls, and mechanical teams to implement technologies that electrify the home and delight our customers. Candidates should be comfortable and excited to grow a team of highly skilled power electronics, hardware design, EMC, and magnetics-focused electrical engineers to advance SPAN’s product portfolio.
In this role, you will:
- Led the development of highly efficient power converters from early assessment stages to complete production, integration, and deployment.
- Define Power Systems architecture and create engineering requirements for components and system integration.
- Conduct circuit and power system modeling and use the results to optimize performance and guide design decisions.
- Collaborate with electronics design and firmware engineering teams to successfully design, validate and manufacture power converters.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams.
- Build prototype components and assemblies, optimizing components to meet system requirements.
We are seeking an experienced electrical engineer who has:
- Ph.D. or Masters in Electrical Engineering
- Experience leading power electronics product development projects up to certification and mass production.
- Experience with high voltage power semiconductor characteristics (Si/SiC/GaN MOSFET’s, diodes), gate drive, and protection circuit design.
- Solid knowledge and proven record in developing High-Frequency DC/DC Isolated topologies such as DAB, LLC, and CLLC.
- Proficient in using Altium for designing power converters projects involving high-frequency mixed signals.
- Solid knowledge in magnetics (inductors, transformers) and capacitors (Electrolytic, film, and Ceramic) and reliability for such components.
- Solid understanding of designing products under UL safety standards such as UL1741.
- Hands-on approach, whether it be building a prototype or performing testing.
- Highly capable of leading conversations with vendors and CM service providers.
- Proven record of leading engineering projects and small engineering teams.
- Highly Interested in growing in an exciting company working towards one of the world’s most important goals of supporting the decarbonization of energy generation and consumption.
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Ph.D. with at least three to five years of Industry Experience
- Or a BS or MSc with at least five years of Industry Experience
- Familiar with hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) and Software in the Loop (SIL) simulation platforms.
- Solid understanding and experience developing converters using soft switching techniques.
- Experience in defining safety requirements and working with cross-functional teams to create system requirement documentation .
- Demonstrated experience implementing power electronics controls in large systems, optimizing load and source interaction in single and three-phase systems.
- Knowledge of national and international safety and EMC requirements relevant to the design of power converters such as UL, IEEE, National Electric Code(NEC), IEC, and ISO.
- Demonstrated success working in a cross-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
- Experience developing performance validation, environmental testing, and reliability testing.
The U.S. base salary range for this position is $145,000 - $248,500 plus benefits, equity and variable compensation for Sales-related roles. This range represents SPAN’s good faith estimate of competitively-priced salary for the role based on national, real-time industry data from companies of a similar growth stage. This range reflects minimum and maximum new hire salaries for the role across US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by location and individual factors including relevant skills, experience and education or training. This range correlates to the relative level of the candidate we believe we need for the role and may require an adjustment for candidates of a different level.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO