About the Team
We are a small team that emphasizes on moving fast and delivering impactful products through technical excellence. Our tech stack varies from a highly scalable and available architecture, processing more than 10K API requests per second, to big data processing and data analytics with 1.5B events per day. The team is focused on building out the next generation of eCommerce products to serve publishers on the Web with cutting-edge technologies and algorithms including advanced implementations of Cassandra, Kafka, Spark and Natural Language Processing (NLP), among many others.
About the Job
Our Commerce team works on our core suite of products and scales our infrastructure to meet increasing demands of new traffic. You will get to work on products that millions of users view and interact with on a daily basis. There will be lots of opportunities to grow in technical leadership and gain experience and exposure across our advanced tech stack, as well as drive initiatives to improve the business and platform.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Back-end product/systems development with AWS, using Java and Scala
- Design and build robust, web-based, distributed applications that can scale to handle tens of thousands of requests per second
- Lead projects across large volumes of code, with multiple branches, formal integration procedures and test cycles
- Contribute software engineering best practices and technical excellence through code reviews and mentorship of junior engineers
- Demonstrate end-to-end ownership of projects and initiatives
You are a self starter and able to get the job done without micro management. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team but are also independent in terms of getting things done. You love technical challenges and solving problems all while striving to make better software and products.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5+ years significant back-end experience as a software engineer in a formal product development environment
- Highly proficient in Java, Spring, SQL, and relational databases (MySQL, RDS)
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: AWS, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Spark, Kafka, Microservice architectures, Data Warehouse technical architectures (Redshift), RESTful web services
- Extensive experience leading design and implementation of highly available and scalable, complex Web systems using Test Driven Development (TDD) and in an Agile setting
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in an analytical area such as computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics, or engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience in the ecommerce, web analytics, search, and cloud computing space
Position Reports to: Manager, Engineering
We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in silos – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
Help storytellers do more of what they want to do – and less of what they don’t
Sovrn is an Equal Opportunity Employer!