Sony Pictures Imageworks is located on the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are committed to respecting traditional lands, and working with communities towards reconciliation.
The VFX Editor is responsible for interpreting, confirming, tracking and distributing information from the client VFX Editor while acting as a liaison. This information includes sequence media, count sheets, reference and communication which are used to create a blueprint for each individual shot that affects the outcome of shot aesthetics, technical direction and budget. Maintaining up to date cuts with per shot version updates (from pre-vis to final) while making them available for use by the VFX crew for review and reference is a high priority for this position. The VFX Editor must also be able to identify and report updates or changes to facility vfx shots in cut revisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain an up to date edit with per shot version updates from vfx departments including; plates, layout, animation, reference, lighting, dialogue and 3D iterations of shots. Report updates to cuts that may include: frame ranges, omits, shot additions, retimes and post moves.
- Maintain the Edbot/Cutlist in itview by uploading and publishing the most current cuts of all sequences, trailers and marketing spots.
- Use count sheets and cut references to verify that the information provided by production matches the current cut, correct plates have been sent and received, correct versions and frame ranges of the plates are being used by the artists, and provide information and clarification when needed.
- Maintain the ETS (Editorial Tracking System) database with line up and count sheet information including accurate shot lengths, frame ranges (set shot ranges), timing changes, continuity, dialogue updates, current and available plate lists and version numbers, notes and any additional line-up information provided by the client.
- Import, export and transcode media using multiple formats, frame rates, resolutions and codecs to internal and external locations for client delivery, reference and presentation.
- Manage media and project files on the Avid using the Avid NEXIS.
- Create single shot Avid refs with accurate frame ranges, current pre-vis and/or post-vis provided by the client.
- Perform quality control checks.
- Complete the final wrap of the Avid project and final sequences for marketing and the archives.
- Create in-house reels including monthlies and marketing presentation pieces.
- Previous experience in an editorial post house or VFX cutting room
- Proven organizational skills, communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Firm understanding of visual effects editorial procedures
- Know how to read and create a vfx count sheet
- Strong understanding of vfx shot frame ranges and how they apply to a vfx shot line up
- Know how to calculate and recreate re-times and repositions in the Avid
- Firm understanding of syncing and editing audio files
- Must know Avid Media Composer, Avid NEXIS Media Network, EDL Manager
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects)
- ETS Editorial Tracking System (or understanding of Microsoft Access Database functions)
- Mac OS X, Linux, Windows
- Knowledge of multiple file formats such as; mxf, aaf, avi, wav, aiff, dpx and QuickTime outputs and codecs
- Shotgun, Windows Office, Adobe Reader/PDFs, Google Drive
This position will likely be work from home, but proximity to the Vancouver office is needed if/when we return to office.
We value unique perspectives, and want diverse, unique talent to work with us. We encourage candidates from all identities to apply.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.