Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Join the fast-growing company that is tackling U.S. healthcare’s least-appreciated problem - pharmacy benefits.
Based in San Francisco, SmithRx was founded in 2016 to create a modern pharmacy benefit management (PBM) platform. PBMs administer and manage pharmacy benefits for companies and health plans to achieve cost savings and ensure patients have a seamless experience when purchasing prescription drugs. PBMs serve as the system of record for who is covered for what drugs at what price and handle the back end services that make it possible for everyday Americans to fill their prescriptions at the pharmacy of their choice.
Over the past few decades, traditional PBMs have grown to become very powerful middlemen and exceedingly profitable entities as companies and patients have borne the burden of exploding prescription drug prices in America. This has drawn the attention of the federal and state governments, who are putting the traditional PBM business model under a microscope and are pushing for changes. Enter SmithRx - we apply fresh, efficient, user-friendly technology and an aligned business model for our customers and patients so that they may receive the best pricing and service.
Each year, nearly half a trillion dollars flow through pharmacy benefit managers, with three large companies controlling 75%+ market share. SmithRx, as the only startup PBM in Silicon Valley, is offering a new path forward.
SmithRx brings together experience from healthcare companies including Anthem, Athena Health, and Collective Health as well as a broader set of technology leaders including LinkedIn, Facebook, Zynga, and Glassdoor, to solve what we believe is one of the largest problems in U.S. healthcare.
Who We Are
SmithRx team members, at our core, are two things: mission-driven and collaborative. We all believe that the U.S. healthcare system is in need of fixing and we come to work each day dedicated to making this change a reality. We are collaborative and believe we will only accomplish our lofty company goals if we work as one cohesive team.
In our work here, we consistently point to our three company values to help guide us with tricky situations we may face:
- Integrity. Do the right thing. Especially when it’s hard.
- Courage. Embrace the challenge.
- Together. Build bridges and lift up your colleagues.
What You'll Be Doing
- Produce high-quality software that is well-designed, maintainable, unit tested, code reviewed and checked regularly for continuous integration
- Design, build, and maintain backend services that provide a modern, easy to use pharmacy benefit solution for our customers
- Work with product managers and senior leadership to turn technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter
- Gain a deep understanding of the technical challenges that SmithRx faces
- Be the cornerstone of a collaborative learning culture through mentorship, code reviews, the exploration of new technologies, and other innovations you’d like to experiment with
- Work closely with a small, dynamic, Engineering Team to make sure all systems remain HIPAA compliant
We're Looking For Somebody With
- 5+ years working on server-side applications, specifically around third party integrations and data processing
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, Cassandra, MongoDB, & Redis
- Interest or experience working with Go, restful APIs, micro-services, & git
- Experience working with AWS tools and Docker containers via Rangers a plus
- Disciplined approach to software development
- Ability to work on features independently
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience