Smarkets is Python and Erlang technology company based in central London. We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges, also known as a prediction market, with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a growing team of over 100, boasting more than 30 nationalities, and our platform has handled over £3 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe.
Our mission is to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world by rethinking the method and model of the betting business. We think traditional sports betting rips off bettors, taking up to a 15% margin on bets. We offer the industry's lowest margin of around 2%. We can and will do better.
We're building a reliable, low-latency, highly concurrent system capable of scaling to thousands of executions per second with sub-millisecond latency. Whether you want to work on the exchange platform, the front-end or trading mechanisms, you'll be solving real and challenging problems - from pushing Python performance to new heights to handling real-time design constraints.
The Smarkets platform is written predominantly on Python and Erlang, and relies heavily on asynchronous programming techniques. We use REST where we can. We deploy to production several times a day.
Our software stack is built around Linux, Vagrant, Flask, Postgres, RabbitMQ, Git and Ansible - but we are not resistant to change when it's needed.
Smarkets prides itself on collecting individuals seeking challenge, and our team members' experiences show this. Come join former financial and adtech engineers, researchers, scientists, and PhDs at one of the most dynamic workforces in Europe.
- Define your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- Write robust, high-performance code, usually Python and Erlang
- Contribute to the organization by advancing culture, challenging colleagues and perpetuating a knowledge-driven environment
- Have fun!
- Strong coder
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Solid knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of relational databases
- Comfortable in a Linux environment
- The ability to learn with enthusiasm
- Functional programming knowledge
- Experience with web technologies and methodologies like web servers, REST, and protocol buffers
- Interest in probability, sports and exchanges
- Love to bet
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels
- Catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with some of Europe's smartest software engineers
The salary ranges from £45k - £100k/year, including stock options, and other benefits for qualified candidates. Your salary will be determined by peer review.
This is a full-time job based at our office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
If you are not confident in your coding abilities, you should reconsider your application for this role. This is a highly technical position, and rigorous testing will be required to qualify each candidates proficiency.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.