Who are we?
Smarkets is a betting exchange for sports and political trading that has handled over £29 billion in volume since 2010. Our company mission is to fix the betting industry with the best products and best prices. We are upending the sports betting industry by growing a transparent platform that offers the best value for bettors, with the fairest odds, best technology and a superior customer experience.
Smarkets is a Series B tech company that brings a professional, product-led approach to our mission. We embrace collaboration, trust, innovation and scientific rigour, while we celebrate ambitious goals and passionate energy. Our culture rewards people on merit and excellence and we strive to provide a working environment where recognition, challenges, support, collaboration, interesting benefits and shared meals provided by our chefs mix together to let you unlock your potential, grow with us and become your best self.
Join our team and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our betting trading technology landscape.
Role expectations and responsibilities
Our People team is at the heart of our business, whether it’s hiring amazing people, helping them develop or maintain great working spaces. We’ve encountered numerous challenges the past years and we are rebuilding our Team.
This is a great role for an experienced HR generalist who wants to make an impact working as an integral part of the team and reporting directly to the Head of department. You will be responsible for providing comprehensive support across the employee lifecycle and for handling employee relations issues following our company values, people processes and policies.
We are looking for someone excited about challenges and not scared to get their hands dirty. To succeed in this role you must be willing to train and mentor junior members of your team but also managers on HR-related issues. You're passionate about people progression and already have a first experience in implementing Learning and Development initiatives.
- Acting as a point of contact for employees through their entire journey at Smarkets
- Provide guidance and feedback to the team in everything contracts, law
- Lead, train and mentor employees on relations issues with a business focus and a will to upskill managers in order to mitigate risks
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Support head of people in strategic projects and HR analytics
- Work hand in hand with the team to update and implement processes and procedures
- Maintain HR best practices in the company
- Have 5+ years of generalist HR experience, ideally as a People/HR Partner within a fast-growing, Digital/Technology, FinTech or Start-Up
- Strong knowledge of UK employment law, regulations and best practices
- Knowledge of Maltese or US employment is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical, tech-savy, problem solving, business acumen and decision making skills
- Organised, able to deliver at pace with high attention to detail
- Push to win
- Make others better
- Give a shit
- Be a pro
- Bring the energy
Our values are at the heart of everything that we do. We believe these are the fundamentals to ensure we are delivering what’s expected of us in the best way possible for ourselves and for those around us.
We offer a competitive salary package and benefits, along with a dynamic and collaborative work environment. Your work with us will make an impact and your voice will be heard.
We are a diverse team with a strong work ethic and plenty of hunger to win. We have designed our benefits offering around Health, Wealth, Lifestyle and Development.
- Stock options which vests over 4 years
- Pension scheme - An impressive pension scheme via Aviva. We will match 6% if you choose the same
- Health insurance
- Fresh fruit and snacks provided in the office everyday! (tea, coffee, soft drinks also included)
- We’re a member of a cycle-to-work scheme
- We want to continue to invest in all our employees and do so by providing a £1000 yearly education budget that can be used on courses, conferences, books or training
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays to enjoy - you have the choice to carry over 5 days to the next year!
- Flexible working - we want to provide a hybrid model approach to working and provide you with 2 days a week working from home.
- 20 days a year of global working - we provide the ability to work from anywhere in the world for up to 20 days a year.
- We will provide you lunch everyday in the office - you don’t need to worry about feeding your belly as we have it sorted with top quality food served by our in-house Chef Alex!