FinTech, meet Sports Betting
Smarkets has revolutionised peer-to-peer trading on sporting and political events. We’ve built a platform that operates like a stock exchange, yet is easy to use and has handled over £8 billion worth of trades since 2010. We’ve only been able to achieve this success by hiring bright, curious engineering talent, and are looking for more creative problem solvers to join us. You’ll be tackling interesting technical problems from day one, surrounded by amazing software engineers who are genuinely passionate about great engineering culture. We are set to launch in international markets with new products, so this is a perfect time to join.
Engineering at Smarkets
Smarkets was founded by two software engineers who were interested in applying financial trading techniques to the world of online betting. Engineering remains at the core of our business, and this is reflected in the fact that almost 70% of the company work in engineering or data related roles.
Unlike normal graduate schemes, where you might not get much say in what you’re working on, all engineers joining Smarkets do rotations in each team. This helps you to decide which team you’re best suited to, and also allows you to learn about every part of the exchange. These rotations involve working on production code.
Problems we’re working on
- Implementing bot-blocking measures to protect the exchange
- Managing the data warehouse and extending our ETL pipelines
- Collaborating with designers to create the best customer experience possible
- Figuring out how we incorporate more external services into Smarkets whilst retaining ultra-low latency
- Improving the collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of our data across the company
- Improving our system capacity to handle higher order rates
- Developing new services to enable to Smarkets to operate in more countries
- Building new developer tools
- Working on our new-generation mobile app in React Native
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- C++ for the core exchange system
- Python for application services
- React and React Native for our web and mobile apps
- Postgres and Redis for data persistence
- Kafka for asynchronous messaging
- Kubernetes and Docker for running our services in production
- AWS to host our infrastructure and server fleet
- Prometheus and Grafana for telemetry and monitoring
You should apply if:
- You want the freedom and responsibility that comes from working within a self-managing structure
- You are excited by the challenge of running a web service to meet the unique scalability demands of sports betting (although an interest in sports is not a requirement)
- You are comfortable working in an evolving organisation that adapts quickly
- You want to work with people who are genuinely passionate about software engineering
- Uncapped holiday - take a break when you need it
- Share options for all employees
- Company performance related bonuses
- Contributory pension scheme
- Three freshly prepared meals each day in our fantastic rooftop kitchen
- A lovely, tranquil office to work in - right in the heart of Saint Katharine Docks, complete with meditation rooms
- And yes, we also have the industry standard perks such as a foosball table and massive screens for gaming with your colleagues, team activities and monthly get-togethers - known as “the Expiration party”
The fine print:
The salary range for this role is from £40,000 to £50,000 and also includes the benefits listed above. Your salary will be determined by the skills and experience that you demonstrate during the interview process.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.