Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About the role
We’re looking for a talented journalist and newsroom manager with a global perspective, a deep sense of how news spreads on the internet, and strong news judgment, to help grow Semafor’s breaking news and Flagship teams.
The position would report to the Breaking News Editor, and will help lead a small team that covers timely, globally-important stories for an international audience, and collaborates with journalists on other desks. They will assign reporters to jump onto stories, help them summarize key issues quickly and accurately, and shepherd pieces to publication. Subjects will run the gamut, including geopolitics, climate change, technology, science, culture, business and finance, and American politics. Ideal candidates would bring experience in at least some of those areas as well as expertise in the pace and platforms of online breaking news, and help shape the voice and personality of Semafor. Experience working or living in multiple countries is a plus, as are language skills. This is a full-time position can be based in one of Semafor's offices located in New York City, Washington DC, or Remote. Candidate must be available to work Sun-Thurs 10am - 7pm EST.
Candidates will be asked to complete a writing and editing exercise as part of the interview process, and must retain the right to work where they live.
- Help lead a team that jumps on breaking news stories as they develop around the world for a globally aware and sophisticated audience
- Help produce Flagship, our daily global newsletter
- Collaborate closely and constantly with the audience team, and other verticals across Semafor’s global newsroom
- Think constantly about story distribution and audiences, whether on social media or key partners and platforms
- Bring speedy insight to big news stories, and flair and personality to the writing
- Bring confidence to editing on everything from American politics to global climate and energy news, and be able to identify topics of most interest to readers
What makes you qualified
- 7+ years of relevant journalism experience, including some newsroom management, leadership, or editing experience
- A proven ability to draw big online audiences, and a deep sense of how news spreads on the internet.
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to identifying breaking news across different issues, storylines, and geographies.
- Fluency in traffic and social media metrics
- The ability to quickly understand and concisely summarize information on a broad range of topics
- A flair for elegant and sparkling writing on deadline
- A passion for world events and issues and a broad interest in a wide range of subjects
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
We are committed to fair, transparent pay and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation. The target annual salary range for this position is $90,000.00 USD to $120,000.00 USD. It is anticipated that most qualified candidates will fall near the middle of this range. Compensation for the successful candidate will vary based on job-related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law