Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this Role
We're seeking a dynamic reporter in a full-time contract position to cover West Africa with a particular focus on Nigeria. The ideal candidate will be comfortable switching from reporting on business and politics to capturing cultural trends or the impact of climate change. They would need to have the instincts and sources to provide agenda-setting coverage on all our media platforms.
The Lagos-based position calls for a self-starter able to cultivate sources among key politicians, policymakers and business leaders. The reporter must have a passion for scoops along with the ability to tell stories clearly and quickly. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through newsletters, the web, video, and in-person events. The person will report to the editor and managing editor of Semafor Africa.
- Cover regional business, economic, tech and political news daily with exclusives and insights
- Identify broader political, business and economic trends across West Africa as they develop
- Cultivate sources that will enable the regular reporting of scoops
- Collaborate closely with the video and events team to work seamlessly across all Semafor platforms
What makes you qualified
- 5+ years of relevant journalism experience
- The ability to quickly understand and concisely summarize information on a broad range of topics
- Proven understanding of how stories spread online, and experience writing elegantly for large online audiences to tight deadlines
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to explaining and connecting the dots across pan-African stories
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Insatiably curious about how various African countries work
- Willing to travel at the drop of a hat when news opportunities happen
What might give you an edge:
- Good French language skills or/and you speak more than one local language.
- Sharing three smart, short ideas/proposals for stories you’d like to see in a publication like Semafor Africa
- Stellar economic/business data skills
This is a contract role and pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc.
Please submit your application by Sept 7, 2022.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law