Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this Role
Semafor Africa is seeking an energetic reporter in a full-time contract position to cover East Africa based in Nairobi. The person will have the instincts and sources to break news and deliver distinctive exclusive coverage of politics, business, economics, technology, culture, and much more.
This role calls for first-rate sourcing and access to the region’s most powerful players in business, tech, policy and government. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through newsletters, the web, video, and in-person events. The successful candidate will work with the editor and managing editor of Semafor Africa.
- Cover East African politics, business and economic news daily with exclusives and insights
- Identify broader political, business and economic trends across east Africa as they develop
- Cultivate sources that will enable the regular reporting of scoops
- Have an ability to write quickly and accurately with valuable insights for both an East African and global audience
- Collaborate closely with our video and events teams to work seamlessly across all Semafor platforms
What makes you qualified
- 5+ years of relevant journalism experience
- Proven understanding of how stories spread online, and experience writing elegantly for large online audiences on tight deadlines
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to explaining and connecting the dots across pan-African stories
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Insatiably curious about how various African countries work
- Willing to travel at the drop of a hat when news opportunities happen
What might give you an edge
- You speak Kiswahili plus any other local language from the region.
- Sharing three *very* short ideas/proposals for stories or product features you’d like to see in a new publication like Semafor Africa
- Stellar economic/business/demographic data skills
This is a contract role and pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc.
Please submit your application by Sept 7, 2022.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law