Title: Computational Imaging and Camera Algorithm Engineer [PHD required]
Company: Samsung Research America
Lab: Mobile Processor Innovation (MPI) Lab
Location: Plano, TX
Mobile Processor Innovation (MPI) Lab, Samsung Research America, serves research and development needs for Mobile Communications Business of Samsung Electronics, which leads the global market with innovative technology and design, launching breakthrough products like the Galaxy Fold series, Galaxy Note series, and the Galaxy S series of mobile phones. Our team works hard to create and develop next-generation technologies in the pursuit of continued success as the world’s number one handset provider.
Samsung MPI Lab is currently looking to fill positions in the computational imaging and camera algorithm R&D roles; and work on problems using AI technology to enhance the mobile camera experience. As part of the team, you will be responsible for creating cutting edge algorithms and technologies that significantly enhance the camera experience such as low light photography, under display camera, AI enhanced photography, and etc. By creatively applying AI, Computational Photography and deep learning techniques, you will contribute to taking the user experiences on Samsung Mobile products to the next level. You will also work on demonstrating efficient implementations on upcoming Galaxy mobile platforms by using the hardware’s resources in new and creative ways. You will work with worldwide team to develop product quality solution, and make business impact by delivering the solution in products. The projects at MPI lab are part of Samsung Mobile’s global R&D effort and have direct impact on future Samsung Mobile products reaching hundreds of millions of users worldwide.
- Identify areas of differentiation and innovation around mobile camera by leveraging new and existing AI, computational imaging, computer vision, and deep learning algorithms in one or more of the following areas:AI pixel processing networks for image restoration, semantic segmentation, optical flow / depth estimation, computational photography applications such as HDR, Super Resolution, image denoising/dehazing, multi-frame-multi-camera computational imaging systems, motion-based computational imaging, high frame rate processing, image stitching and blending and image quality understanding
- Prototype algorithms in Mat lab, C/C++, Python, on PC and embedded platforms
- Write high quality prototype code that can easily be integrated into production system SW by worldwide teams
- Understand the constraints of mobile systems and use that understanding to deliver feasible and efficient algorithms
- Ph.D. in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering with 1+ yrs. of experience preferred or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in computational imaging
- Experience in one or more deep learning frameworks
- Hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas: AI pixel processing networks for restoration, semantic segmentation, optical flow / depth estimation, computational photography applications such as HDR, Super Resolution, image denoising/dehazing, multi-frame-multi-camera computational imaging systems, motion-based computational imaging, high frame rate processing, image stitching and blending, image quality understanding and computational optics
- Hands-on experience with embedded implementation of image processing and computational photography algorithms
- Strong communication skills for effective interactions with R&D management as well as peer groups and team members
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong algorithm background in image processing and computational imaging
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Familiarity with smartphone and other mobile product development
- Experience with deep learning methods for image processing is a plus
- Understanding of optics and optical systems is a plus
- Experience with computer vision algorithms and vision analytics systems is a plus
- Understanding of inertial sensors and their use for computational imaging is a plus
- Experience with Android, especially in building image processing / computer vision apps is a plus
- Understanding of HLOS layers, Multimedia SW frameworks and compute paradigms is a plus
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $114,700 and $157,450, but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.