Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for a cross-functional leader to build and scale our revenue organization focused on growing our business in the state & local government and the education markets (SLED). You will play a vital role in all aspects of rapidly growing our revenue in the SLED vertical, an area expected to be one of the highest growth areas of the company. You will work to enable the sales team to sell, drive customer acquisition initiatives, and build on-the ground resources required for the sales team to be successful. You will work directly with four sales leaders across Enterprise and Inside Sales, and you will work with and leverage all corporate functions to deliver sales performance in your markets. As this is a multi-faceted role, we are seeking a highly versatile and well-rounded leader who can create and drive strategy as well as roll up their sleeves to clear obstacles and build pieces of the business themselves. We are looking for candidates with excellent analytical skills, strong writing and presentation skills, and a passion for working in customer-facing roles. A quantitative background is a big plus.
In this role, you will:
- Work directly with the sales and product marketing teams to understand market needs and lead efforts to find product / market fit and sales motion / market fit
- Support the sales team by providing functional support required to drive priority customer relationships and win individual deals
- Partner with our Sales Strategy & Planning team to develop quarter, annual, and long term sales plans, including headcount, quotas, expected productivity, and territory assignment
- Partner with Sales Operations and Sales Enablement teams to make sure the SLED sales team has the right tools, policies, processes, and resources for day to day operations
- Partner with the marketing organization to define marketing needs and execute go-to-market efforts in partnership with marketing function
- As needed, partner with other functions including Finance, Product, and Customer Support to deliver on the needs of our customers
- Leverage data to understand our customers and our funnel in depth, identify areas of opportunity and execute projects to drive customer growth, retention, and engagement
- Analyze and report on sales performance to senior sales leaders, including developing key insights when appropriate
- Prepare executive level summaries and presentations on the progress of the SLED sales team to our revenue goals
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Minimum of 8+ years experience in the technology industry, with at least 5 of those working in business operations, sales, sales operations, or a related role; experience leading a new initiative or cross-functional project during a period of high growth in a performance-oriented culture is preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in using data-driven insights to define or improve the go-to-market motion in a particular industry vertical including owning the analysis, defining key objectives, and problem solving cross-functionally to achieve short and long term results
- Track record of developing effective and influential relationships with cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication and critical thinking skills to understand sales policies and processes at a company and individual sales rep level
- Be a Role Model: champion efforts to improve team collaboration and cross-functional communications, and help make Samsara a great place to work
- Experience with Salesforce.com and Tableau are a plus but not required
- Bachelor's degree or higher from a top university; business, finance, economic, business, or engineering focus is a plus; MBA is optional
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience in sales or sales management selling B2B enterprise software into the public sector including local, state or federal governments, or a related role
- Experience leading the problem solving and implementation on related topics such as entering and growing in new markets, analyzing growth relative to total market share in specific markets, and leading analysis and decision making related to customer segmentation and territory planning
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.