Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for a smart, ambitious Senior Global Supply Manager (GSM) to influence our rapidly growing product lines for the long-term. This role is the interface between key technology industries, manufacturing partners and internal engineering teams. The Senior GSM is responsible for sourcing core silicon technologies and enabling new products based on technological developments. Candidates must have an interest in hardware engineering, market dynamics, negotiation and pricing, manufacturing processes, and risk mitigation.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop and implement strategic silicon and component sourcing strategies in support of internal roadmap
- Develop a deep understanding of Samsara’s vendor base in order to anticipate industry trends and track competitive forces
- Lead the contract negotiation process with internal partners and suppliers.
- Enable new technologies and products at optimal costs within aggressive timeframes
- Anticipate and drive solutions for NPI supply requirements using technical expertise, internal coordination, and clear external communications
- Build initial relationships with key silicon suppliers and drive innovation with existing manufacturing partners
- Identify changes in buyer and supplier power within core materials and technology markets and use industry dynamics to Samsara’s advantage
- Negotiate optimal terms for sourcing to ensure supply continuity while maintaining quality
- Communicate the impact of manufacturing process value optimization, cost opportunities and risks, market intelligence and international dynamics to influence Samsara’s product roadmap
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- BS in Engineering + 8 years of experience, masters degree or MBA is a plus
- Experience in technical, engineering or sourcing fields may be in lieu of BS in Engineering
- Knowledge of silicon/semiconductor and EMS/ODM/JDM/OEM business models, cost modeling and supply chain design
- Supply Chain Management experience in sourcing silicon and other semiconductor products
- Willingness to travel internationally (10 - 20%)
An ideal candidate also has:
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Positive attitude in a rapidly changing environment with ambiguous information
- Concise communication skills
- Desire to build relationships with multiple cross-functional teams
- Experience and drive to engage in complex negotiations
- Intellectual curiosity with an ability to learn quickly
- Passion for technology and operations
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.