Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About this role:
Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As an embedded software engineer at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on millions of devices, deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for our linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
Embedded Software Engineers at Samsara might work on:
- Bringing up a new platform - configuring I/O, testing connectivity, validating design, debugging init
- Writing peripheral drivers, bootloaders, DMA pipelines, core management layers (power manager, connectivity manager, etc).
- Component selection: partner with hardware in selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in house and beta customer use.
- Designing efficient protocols and implementing efficient hardware management to maximize battery life of a sensor or gateway.
- OBD protocol debugging through the use of various Logic/CAN analyzers for the validation of a given OBD standard or specification.
- Triage, and/or troubleshoot bugs or new enhancements relating to vehicle diagnostics.
An ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 8 years experience working in bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux environments.
- Be excited about vehicles and the sensors in them (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems.
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
- Have an understanding of vehicle diagnostic protocols such as J1939, J1979, J1587 and busses such as CAN, K-Line, J1708, J1850, etc.
- Have a strong drive to solve puzzles - to discover hidden patterns and find unexpected variances.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice except for employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work remotely through June 2021 from any US state or country in which they have a valid work authorization. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen except for field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.