Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
About the role:
Samsara’s embedded software team works across the two paradigms of new product development (system architecture, component selection, system bring up, development and launch) and continuous feature development (new function & features, improving performance, integrating peripherals, etc).
This role is based on our telematics embedded team which works on Samsara’s Vehicle Gateways, the highest volume product and backbone to Samsara’s business - providing the data and connectivity foundational to fleet and safety management. Our Vehicle Gateways are Linux based platforms with cellular / wifi / bluetooth / gnss radios that connect to vehicles’ diagnostics ports for real time telemetry and connect to an array of accessories. We are looking for subject matter experts in different wireless fields, namely in cellular (3G/4G/5G).
In this role you will:
- Drive the architecture and implementation of Samsara’s WAN solutions - in particular focusing on component selection, multi-carrier / multi-SIM optimization, network performance, auto recovery, etc.
- Contribute across Samsara’s embedded software code base outside of WAN/Cellular radio management. You may work on end application features, product performance, and other radio based features.
- As a Staff engineer at Samsara you will be expected to lead across teams to drive large scale architecture and long term roadmap.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 10+ years experience working in embedded environments (combination of bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux)
- Cellular expertise in
- Multi-radio / SIM / carrier connectivity management
- Roaming optimization
- Performance optimization and link management
- Strong 3GPP/LTE understanding in the areas of NAS and PLMN selection
An ideal candidate also has:
- Wi-Fi expertise in:
- Wireless multimedia performance
- Access Point & Client aspects, including simultaneous AP-STA
- Power optimized AP / STA implementations
- Experience with GNSS systems (multi-constellation, performance optimization, system integration)
- Experience using industry standard tools (e.g., QXDM) in development and debug
- Experience leading informal teams of engineers to deliver complex projects
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.