Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
We are looking for an experienced corporate tax professional to bring their expertise to a growing company. This is a unique opportunity to implement and create corporate tax goals/initiatives and perform research and planning for complex tax situations with direct impact on the operations of the company. You will work closely with senior leadership and teams across the organization.
You should possess an analytical mind, have a high bar for quality of work, have the ability to drive to action, and be willing to roll up your sleeves to get it done. You have a desire to make a substantial impact on decision-making, to learn quickly in a dynamic, high-growth technology company, and to be a mentor and in-demand partner across the organization.
This is a full-time position at our office in Potrero Hill and includes Lyft/Uber commuter benefits; stock options; up to 4% 401(k) match; catered lunch four days a week; and 100% coverage on medical, dental, and vision benefits.
In this role you will:
- Manage the US corporate federal and local tax compliance process with internal and external parties including tax provisions, annual returns, and quarterly tax estimates.
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of consolidated federal, state and local income tax returns.
- Work with external auditors and internal finance team on tax aspects of financial statement audits.
- Coordinate the processes, systems/software, and strategy with respect to corporate income tax.
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in company tax procedures.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation.
- Help plan and structure corporate growth from a tax perspective including researching and recommending proper tax considerations for entering new jurisdictions.
- Create/Support internal tax documentation to be used by the company in achieving tax initiatives.
- Assist the broader finance team with tax related items for monthly/quarterly book reconciliations/closings.
- Review general ledger accounts for tax implications / adjustments.
- Work with external advisers in managing long-term and discrete projects.
- Compile and present tax recommendations to senior management.
- Assist in managing taxing authority audit and notice resolution.
- Provide support with various internal audits and special tax related projects.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
An ideal candidate has:
- 5-6 years or more of public accounting experience, industry, or a combination of public accounting and industry
- Strong initiative, intellectual curiosity and willingness to take ownership of complex problems
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Willingness and ability to perform tasks at all levels, from detailed preparation to high level review
- Articulate in verbal and written communications
- High integrity and ethics
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters a plus
- CPA Certification
- Prior working experience with an ERP system is a plus
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.