Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that continually collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. These sensors are the building blocks on top of which Samsara builds specific solutions for industries such as commercial fleet management and industrial center monitoring. Through unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
Samsara is hiring a Director of Engineering to lead the Asset Tracking engineering group. The team is growing rapidly and consists of full stack and firmware engineering delivering device and dashboard features as well as introducing new products into our line of asset tracking capabilities.
The ideal candidate for this role has a successful background as an engineer, but also understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration.
As an engineering director, you will lead a team of up to 25 engineers with responsibilities including:
- Driving the delivery of new features and products in alignment with the product priorities
- Understanding business context to drive key product decisions and trade offs
- Establishing team goals, metrics and roadmaps
- Coaching & mentoring managers & technical leads
- Conducting regular 1-1s and performance evaluations
- Defining team roles and processes to scale the team
- Recruiting, hiring, and building teams to keep up with demand of growing company
- Working with Product Management to prioritize feature and new product development
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- And still coding on occasion to keep your sanity
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
An ideal candidate:
- Has a successful history as an individual contributor software developer
- Has experience successfully delivering and maintaining IoT products
- Has expertise in technologies relevant to the asset tracking domain such as GPS, RF, low power computing, LTE, etc.
- Has experience delivering cloud software, leading teams, and managing engineers
- Has interest in understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Has excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to establish a culture of continuous improvement
If you are excited by the idea of working at a fast growing company, being constantly challenged by and learning from high-caliber engineers, owning and shaping full-stack processes and ultimately growing a world-class engineering team, we’d love to have you join our team!
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.