Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a software engineer focusing on embedded systems at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on tens of thousands of these devices, deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle challenges including: evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for our linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
You might work on:
- Developing an unsafe driving detection algorithm based on accelerometer and vehicle data.
- Capturing and filtering down to the most meaningful data (video, GPS, etc.) on a system with storage, power, and bandwidth constraints.
- Building a new device: selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in house and beta customer use, shipping release quality products, and iterating based on customer feedback.
An ideal candidate would:
- Have some experience with linux or embedded devices.
- Be excited to learn about: sensors (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), backend services (S3, Docker, DB), and customer industries.
- Thrive in an environment that encourages rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
Working at Samsara has its perks: monthly commuter benefit on top of your base salary, selection of breakfast options, free catered lunch on most days, private medical and dental insurance, 25 vacation days plus 8 UK bank holidays, pension scheme, unlimited snacks & fruit, growth and development opportunities, friendly and modern office in central London and regular team outings.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colours, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.