Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that continually collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. These sensors are the building blocks on top of which Samsara builds specific solutions for industries such as commercial fleet management and industrial center monitoring. Through unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
The ideal candidate for engineering manager has a successful background as an engineer, but also understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration. Engineering managers will work with engineers to align individual skills and interests with feature development needs. Successful managers will support and develop individual contributors based on their needs and interests as well as the needs of the company.
As an engineering manager, you will lead a team of 5-10 engineers to deliver customer-driven solutions. This will involve:
- Conducting regular 1-1s and giving performance evaluations
- Working with Product Management to prioritize feature development
- Building roadmaps, engineering plans, and schedule estimates
- Performing code reviews and ensuring proper design and delivery of major features
- Promoting best practices and establishing team processes
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- Identifying infrastructure and architectural investment needs
- Coaching & Mentoring software engineers
- Recruiting, hiring, and building teams to keep up with demand of growing company
- And still coding on occasion to keep your sanity...
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Specifically, your team may work on backend log-processing and data analytics systems, as well as building out new user interfaces for both web and mobile platforms. Your team will tackle engineering challenges ranging from aggregating data from thousands of sensors to presenting the data in intuitive ways that provide actionable insights for our customers’ operations.
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
An ideal candidate:
- Successful history as an individual contributor software developer
- Experience delivering software, leading teams, and managing engineers
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Enjoys understanding users and what makes their day to day easier to manage
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
If you are excited by the idea of working at a fast growing company, being constantly challenged by and learning from high-caliber engineers, owning and shaping product development, and ultimately growing a world-class engineering team, we’d love to have you join our team!