Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
Kibana is the window into the Elastic Stack
Kibana lets users visualize their Elasticsearch data and navigate the Elastic Stack, so they can do anything from learning why they’re getting paged at 2:00 a.m. to understanding the impact rain might have on their quarterly numbers. Kibana gives users the freedom to select the way they give shape to their data. And they don’t always have to know what they’re looking for. With its interactive visualizations, users start with one question and see where it leads them. Kibana core ships with the classics: histograms, line graphs, pie charts, sunbursts, and more. They demonstrate the full aggregation capabilities of Elasticsearch.
About the Role
This is a hands-on role. You will work closely with other Operation team members on many key projects and initiatives partnering closely across all Elastic teams. You will participate in defining the roadmap of the Operation team, delivering high quality of work, managing the technical debt, and providing support for the community.
With over 150 engineers actively developing Kibana or building on top of it, we take the developer experience seriously. This includes making sure every developer can effectively assess Kibana's performance and scalability as they work. We are looking for an engineer who knows the craft of measuring performance in complex systems. You'll play an important role in initiatives involving the benchmarking, scalability, and sizing of Kibana, tying these into continuous integration and test automation frameworks. You'll collaborate with other Kibana Operations team members, and partner closely with other teams across Elastic that build on top of the Kibana platform. We are looking for someone interested in “Divops” ( see this article for a good sense of what this means: https://www.jonathancreamer.com/announcing-div-ops/).
What you’ll work on
- Develop and maintain runtime configuration support
- Provide enhancements to our Continuous Integration pipeline
- Improve our builds running on supported operating systems
- Advocate for the overall developer experience
- Work collaboratively with other development teams including platform, security, quality engineering, infrastructure, and documentation team
- Provide technical feedback to engineers through code reviews and design reviews
Skills & Requirements
- Deep knowledge of Node.js
- 7+ years of experience developing scalable, high performing services and applications
- Understanding of at least one modern JS Framework such as Angular.js and React.js
- Experience with the release process: Source code control, package installers, build scripts, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience with Docker or similar virtualization environments using libvert, LXC, or NSPAWN.
- Familiar with various build tools such as webpack and Grunt
- Experience managing Continuous Integration platforms. Jenkins experience is a plus.
- Deep understanding of design, implement, and consume REST APIs
- Able to work independently and deliver projects involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.