Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
We are on the lookout for a talented Java Engineer with a deep understanding of the JDK to join our Elasticsearch Core Infra team, which focuses on creating the foundational infrastructure that enables engineers to develop, extend and support Elasticsearch. We specifically are looking for someone who follows developments in the JDK to help guide how we could react to those changes and also to help develop the next generation of our plugin infrastructure.
What you will be doing
- Helping to drive our long term technical strategy in relation to changes in the JDK, for example the deprecation of the security manager.
- Evolving the core infrastructure and features of Elasticsearch
- Designing and implementing new horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch.
- Understanding and contributing to surrounding layers such as replication and search
- Optimizing internal data structures used within Elasticsearch
- Tackling difficult issues, including performance or concurrency issues, and proposing solutions
- Collaborating in the open with the ES team, Elastic Stack users, and other supporting open source projects
- Supporting our support engineers with the harder problems
What you will bring along
- Strong knowledge of JDK internals: classloaders, modules, security manager, the Java memory model, etc.
- Experience designing APIs and the ability to reason through tradeoffs
- Proficient in algorithms and data structures
- Experience leading large scale projects across engineering teams
- Willingness to dive into new issues and ask for help when you need it
- Knowledge of seccomp and other OS level security mechanisms
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.