Elastic is a search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
We're looking for a Principal Java Engineer in North America to join the Elasticsearch - Security team, focusing on making Elasticsearch more secure for our user community. This is a senior software engineering role that covers new features, enhancements to existing features, and resolving bugs. We design and write code (including automated tests) and documentation. We review one another’s code via GitHub pull requests, and we investigate and fix bugs. We do all of this transparently on GitHub. Security is a broad term, and we work on a variety of features in that space - Authentication, Authorization, Auditing, TLS and Certificate Management, Cryptography. We’re responsible for the sorts of things that show up under a “Security” heading on a product feature list. Here’s exactly that list for the Elastic Stack.
Elasticsearch is a distributed application written in Java, dedicated to performance and scalability. We’re looking for Senior Java engineers who are able to design new product features while thinking through the concurrency and performance implications of those designs.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Evolving the security features of Elasticsearch.
- Implementing authentication, authorization, and other security protocols within Elasticsearch.
- Building the foundation of security for the ELK Stack using knowledge of cryptographic primitives and security trade-offs.
- Prototyping new ideas and experimenting openly.
- Collaborating in the open with the Elasticsearch team, Elastic Stack users, and others supporting open source projects.
- Working with the community on bugs and performance issues and assisting out support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along:
- At least 8 years of experience in software engineering, preferably with a focus on server side Java development.
- You are highly proficient in Java, conversant in the standard library of data structures and concurrency constructs, as well as newer features like lambdas.
- Very strong algorithm implementation and optimization skills.
- Experience securing applications and knowledge of security protocols.
- Experience with and a passion for Identity and Access Management, Authentication and Authorization .
- Experience leading and owning cross-functional initiatives.
- Experience implementing Single-Sign-On protocols such as SAML or OpenID Connect.
- Hashing and encryption experience.
- You've worked in open source before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You've built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Double your charitable giving - we match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Elastic’s data protection officer is Felix Wittern, who can be contacted at email@example.com. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which your skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement.