Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at Pokemon.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
What you’ll do
Job Title: Director, Original Animation
Job Summary: The Director, Original Animation is a newly created position in Media Production at The Pokémon Company International responsible for accelerating development and production of Pokémon’s original animated content to provide a best in class entertainment experience reaching the kids & family audience. This position will be based out of Bellevue, WA and report to Sr. Director of Media Production. Partnering with Media Production, Marketing and cross-functional leadership, they will generate and guide Pokémon animation projects from concept through delivery. They will cultivate relationships with top writers, artists, agents and studios, delivering unique combinations of talent to projects, managing original animation schedules and budgets and partnering with legal to drive original animation-related contracts.
FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
People Manager: Yes
What you’ll do
- Partner with Media Production and Marketing Leadership to conceptualize Pokémon animation creative that is fresh and differentiated while faithful to existing lore also and that will resonate with the broad kids and family audience
- Drive all aspects of development and production of original animation including story, characters, design and overall project development from ideation through delivery
- Build and present strong project pitches to secure greenlight and attach talent
- Cultivate top writer, artist and studio relationships and identify the right talents for projects
- Work in concert with cross-functional leadership to implement creative vision and strategy
- Guide story documents, scripts, art and cuts with input and notes
- Foster an environment of cross-functional Media Production team collaboration, input and involvement
- Create budgets and schedules for original animated content
- Working with the legal team, drive animation contracts and deals for development and production
- Lead, grow and mentor department over time as needs develop
- Formulate policies, procedures and requirements for content delivery and production.
What you’ll bring
- Proven experience in animation film /series/ entertainment development and production
- Experience in and understanding of adapting existing IP into animated stories and content
- Startup mindset to flexibly adapt to change
- Expert knowledge of story structure and storytelling
- Ability to generate story ideas and develop them into animated content
- Extensive contacts with top writers, artists, agents and studios in the animation space
- Twelve+ (12+) years of relevant professional experience, plus at least five (5) years of management experience.
- Bachelors degree required.
- Relevant and adequate experience in animation development including managing timelines, budgets and contracts for several ongoing creative projects.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize while juggling multiple projects at once in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent teamwork and problem solving ability.
- Superb organizational skills and ability to lead people with heart.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of / passion for the Pokemon brand is a huge plus
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: $$155,000.00 - $233,000.00. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. It is common for TPCi to start employees below the midpoint of the range. Final base salary is directly related to each candidate’s qualifications and experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.
Internal Job Profile: Content Development Mgmt (M4)