The Sr. Web Engineer is primarily responsible for the design, development, polish, and optimization of new, internal and partner facing Pokémon game management websites, tools, build pipelines, and services. This role will have great impact enabling our Game Design, Customer Service, Test, and Engineering teams have a clean, modern, and intuitive experience when interacting with our services. The Sr. Web Engineer will partner and collaborate with these teams, UI/UX partners, DevOps, and others within and outside the technology group with a focus on the user.
What You Will Do
- Build efficient industry-leading, best-practice infused projects in a collaborative environment
- Implement, debug, and optimize code and tools which will impact the experience of tens of millions of users
- With high availability and scale in mind, work with microservices, gateways, security, queues, serialization, and more
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines to implement tools to bring to life gameplay features and mechanics – commerce, testing, account management, and other aspects are backend driven
- Maximize test (e.g. unit, integration, automation, etc.) coverage while working to find better ways to stress and test sites, services, systems, and code
- Guide and mentor other engineers both within and outside of your immediate team
- Solve various challenges using complex algorithms, patterns, distributed systems, data structure analysis, and design for scale both in number of titles/products supported and number of users
- Bring enthusiasm and initiative to execute the full web stack from inception to CI/CD
What You Will Bring
- 6+ years in a front-end web development
- 3+ years of experience within game and/or mobile services development
- Deployed or released significant features for at least two publicly accessible web sites with large scale usage and proven uptime
- Thorough knowledge of web toolkits & frameworks (e.g. Angular, React, etc.)
- Desmontrated experience clearly articulating API design and technical requirements with thoughtful documentation gathering requirements, exploring alternative solutions, and implementing code along the way. Maintain and update documentation
- Able to quickly mockup or prototype sites, tools, and concepts to facilitate discussions and buy-in
- Familiar with frameworks, protocols, payloads, databases, data steructures, testing, caching, messaging, and intergrating with services
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent years of work experience
How You Will Be Successful
- Communication: Impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a non-technical format.
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Passion & Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and take a methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolution.
- Work Excellence: You set high quality standards and strive for continuous improvement and quality assurance with all deliverables.
- Growth Mindset: You thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together; building and enhancing programs appeals to you. You have a desire to stay current on trends and concepts.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to clients. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.