Podium exists to help local businesses win. Using Podium, local businesses can simplify the way they communicate with their customers—from collecting payments to facilitating online reviews to launching marketing campaigns, and much more.
Our work and focus on helping local businesses thrive has been recognized across the industry, including Forbes’ Next Billion Dollar Startups, Forbes’ Cloud 100, the Inc. 5000, and Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies.
We look for people who are curious, creative and are willing to do the work to be a little better every day. We also embody our company values in all that we do, which always starts with being Customer Obsessed, followed by Be a Founder, Zero Drama, and Enjoy the Ride. Does that sound like you?
At Podium, a Data Operations Engineer is best described as a Data-focused SRE role (not Data Science support). Our Data Ops Engineers ensure that systems that store or move data are reliable, durable, and performant. Your new team includes both previous SREs and previous DBAs, who have come together over a shared love of maintaining large data systems. We own Elasticsearch, Kafka, Kafka Connect, RabbitMQ, and Redis. We also are part of a larger team that includes our PostgreSQL Database Engineers and we work closely with them as well as Podium’s SRE team. This role will focus on Elasticsearch from an application-search perspective (not log ingestion). We are looking for expertise to scale our Elasticsearch-backed applications to the next level.
What you will be doing:
- Elasticsearch, but also backing up teammates on Kafka, Kafka Connect, RabbitMQ and Redis, and any new data stores / queuing technologies Podium uses in future
- Elasticsearch expert support for our Engineering teams, including index/analyzer design, performance, and architecture
- Upgrades and new capabilities
- Data store health (metrics / observability)
- Capacity planning, performance tuning, and performance testing (we use Rally and other tools)
- Infrastructure-as-code (Terraform / Ansible)
- Evangelizing best practices to development Engineers
- Rotating on-call
What you should have:
- 6+ years industry experience with data stores
- 4+ years experience doing systems reliability and application-search-related design work with Elasticsearch at an advanced level, including index design, configuration, tuning, performance validation, metrics, and automation/infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with using Elasticsearch as a complex search engine at scale - this is not a log ingestion role, our clusters support applications doing search on ingested data
- Comprehensive knowledge of Elasticsearch open source features with broad experience applying them
- Comfort working with Elasticsearch open source, without dedicated vendor support or a license
- Cloud experience, preferably AWS
- Infrastructure-as-code experience (Terraform and/or Ansible preferred)
- Comfort moving quickly but carefully in a startup-paced environment
What we hope you have:
- Experience working on the systems side of several types of data technologies
- Experience implementing multi-regional Elasticsearch
- Continuous integration experience (Gitlab CI)
- Kafka Streams, KSQL, and Kafka Connect
- Open and transparent culture - Checkout this video to see what it’s like to work at Podium
- Life insurance, long and short-term disability coverage
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Generous vacation time, plus three 4-day summer holiday weekends
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Plan
- Bi-annual swag drops with cool Podium gear and apparel
- A stellar HQ (Utah) gym with local professional coaches and classes offered
- Onsite HQ (Utah) child care center, subsidized for employees
- Additional benefits for fully remote employees
Podium is an equal opportunity employer. Podium provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, marital status or veteran status.