About The Opportunity
Pie Insurance’s Technology team builds and operates a suite of applications and services that allow direct consumers, partners, and agents to manage commercial insurance policies. The team collaborates closely with our business partners to design and implement new features to help the company scale with increasing demand.
Engineering managers must have the ability to build teams and bring diverse groups of people together to work on ideas that move us towards realizing our company mission.
Pie engineering managers build high-performing teams where engineers feel like their work is meaningful and has an impact on their careers. Each manager sets direction, supports people in their career growth and ensures that their teams have inspiring visions for the future. The engineering teams at Pie work on a spectrum of efforts, including the Insuretech platform, which helps power Pie, and product engineering, which ships Pie’s myriad of products to its customers.
Engineering managers describe their teams as “communities” that lean on each other to ideate and collaborate. Engineering managers lead small teams that collaborate closely with other teams in an agile fashion. Establishing goals together is an important part of the process, and engineering managers work cyclically with their teams to ensure that they're all working towards the same goal.
How You’ll Do It
- Lead and mentor a team of senior/staff backend and/or frontend engineers in delivering scalable features to our customers.
- Responsible for the career development and support of engineers.
- Lead projects from discovery to delivery, driving initiatives that impact the larger team of engineers, Engineering Managers, and Product Managers.
- Drive product roadmap and initiatives and participate in technical design.
- You will collaborate with engineers across pillars in product, platform, and infrastructure engineering.
- Represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical proficiency.
- Effectively communicating across the product development team and company.
- Build a diverse team while encouraging a collaborative, inclusive, and transparent environment.
The Right Stuff
- 2+ years of serving in an Engineering Manager role.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring peers and/or direct reports on their technical ability. A desire to mentor, coach, and develop engineers is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with geographically distributed team members successfully is required.
- A full understanding of software development, including test design and lifecycle, is a must.
- Ability to articulate succinctly in written and verbal communications.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field or relevant work experience is required.
Base compensation for position: $175,000 - 240,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.