Permutive is powering the future of targeted advertising on the Open Web today. As the only Audience Platform built on edge computing, we enable premium advertisers and publishers to plan, build and activate cohorts — all while keeping everyone’s data safe.
We’re a remote-first B2B SaaS company with 150+ people—centred around our London and New York hubs—and growing rapidly. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including a recent $75m Series C led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
About the Role...
Permutive is expanding our engineering team further and we are looking for a Scala Engineer to join our Dashboard team and help enable our customers and internal teams to engage with Permutive’s fundamental products in a coherent and consistent manner.
You'll use a wide range of technologies to build the functionality that solves previously-impossible problems for our customers and helps them deliver value through our platform. You should be keen to own the process of building new product features and managing the whole development process, including coding, testing, deploying, and monitoring.
The wider context
Permutive is a B2B SaaS company building the data platform and tools for a world with a trillion edge devices. We have product–market fit and customers that love us, and we’re 130+ people and growing rapidly in Europe and the US. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including Y Combinator.
We’re 40+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
Everything we build has to scale: our platform handles more requests each day than there are new tweets and Google searches, and each month we see more than a billion users. We think applying functional programming techniques like compositionality and type-safety is the best way to build the type of massive distributed system our platform comprises, allowing us to move fast without sacrificing quality.
Teams and technologies
The Dashboard team are focussed on enabling our customers and internal teams to engage with Permutive’s fundamental products in a coherent and consistent manner. We are responsible for the Dashboard, which all of our customers use to interact with our underlying platform and technology. The team owns some of the fundamental concepts that enable these interactions, such as organizations and workspaces, or identity and access management. We collaborate closely with other product engineering teams to expose new features in our Dashboard.
We would love to hear from Software Engineers that have knowledge or an interest in working with some of the technologies we use:
- Scala: cats, cats-effect, http4s, circe, doobie, refined
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Kafka, Postgres, Grafana, Terraform
You will be responsible for helping the team build backend systems that power our Dashboard, finding better ways to interact with systems owned by other teams and building new features that affect the way customers login and engage with the Dashboard.
The ideal candidate will have
- Experience working with REST APIs in Scala
- Experience collaborating closely with frontend engineers or teams
- Able to communicate technical concepts clearly
- Have a broad understanding of software engineering concepts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Experience working with Identity & Access Management systems
- Interest in Dashboard security practices such as SSO, 2FA
- Experience pulling data from various systems and surfacing it in a UI
- Experience with messaging systems (e.g. Kafka or Kinesis) and distributed data stores (e.g. Cassandra, Bigtable, DynamoDB)
- Experience building and deploying microservices, e.g. using Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Cats or Doobie
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a typical candidate with strong Scala experience plus most of our requirements we would likely pay £80,000 + options.
For a candidate with a breadth of experience, and who meets several of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £100,000 + options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until early 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In early 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.