About Paidy, Inc.
Paidy is Japan's pioneer and leading BNPL service with the mission to spread trust through society and to give people room to dream.
Paidy offers instant, monthly-consolidated credit to consumers by removing hassles from payment and purchase experiences. Paidy uses proprietary models and machine learning to underwrite transactions in seconds and guarantee payments to merchants.
Paidy increases revenue for merchants by reducing the number of incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating repeat purchases from consumers.
Paidy was acquired in September 2021 by PayPal, the global payments company. Paidy continues to operate its existing business, maintain its brand and support a wide variety of consumer wallets and marketplaces by providing convenient and innovative services.
Paidy continues innovating to make shopping easier and more fun both online and offline. For more information, please visit http://www.paidy.com.
We are looking for passionate, innovative and dedicated software engineers who are ready to make an impact by accelerating growth in the number of Paidy users over the upcoming months. Showcase your entrepreneurial spirit!
Key Role and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for developing and scaling our merchant platform while meeting the highest standards in terms of security, maintainability and resilience to failure. You will meet regularly with the product team to align software delivery with business goals. With the help of your team members, you will come up with software design tradeoffs and communicate them clearly to other engineers as well as product team members to implement mutually agreed-upon solutions. You will also have the opportunity to work cross-functionally in feature teams to deliver product features and services. In addition to regular deliverables expected of the engineering team, you areexpected to follow and stay current with industry best practices -- such as writing automated tests and taking part in regular code reviews to ensure quality code at its highest possible standards. We look forward to meeting you!
Our tech stack:
- AWS architecture
- Scala (cats-effect)
Skills and Requirements
Required Skills to have:
- Knowledge of one or more high-level statically-typed languages (i.e. Java, Scala, Haskell, Kotlin, Rust, C++, OCaml, C#, F#, etc), plus an interest in Functional Programming
- At least 4 years of experience working as a backend engineer in an Agile environment
- Knowledge of Git
- Quality code and testing: legibly-written code that is easily understood by others
- Address debugging with a systematic approach
- Understand automated testing with a curiosity to suggest performance improvements
- Ability to understand code independently and make intelligent inferences to code in the broader context
- Understanding of software architecture and design with the ability to align the overall service architecture
- Basic understanding of security measures and how they may implicate the wider system
- Comfortable with knowledge sharing, working on a team and building relationships
- Show interest in the organization’s engineering strategy, product development strategy and how that aligns to the overall business strategy
- Ability to define task outlines and deliverables
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency when required
- Ability to manage some ambiguity and exercises good judgment when needed
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eager to learn how to grow the business!
Good to have:
- Preferably relevant experience in technologies and concepts that we use at Paidy:
○ Scala, Cassandra, Kafka, Postgres, Functional Programming, REST API, microservices architecture, JSON, Avro, CI/CD, AWS, Fargate, Terraform, Git, Data streaming, ElasticSearch, Redis, Event Sourcing, unit/functional testing, cats, cats-effect, tagless final, CQRS, event sourcing
- Solid understanding of event sourcing in Kafka
- Experience building distributed systems
- Experience with Akka Cluster and Persistence
- Experience with TDD
- Understand cross-team interdependencies and work streams
- Ability to envision delivery roadmap and articulate this clearly for others to follow
- Build relationships with stakeholders throughout the organization
- Understand product opportunities, differentiators and competition
- Knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- Experience building distributed systems
- Demonstrate technical leadership and mentorship to junior engineers
- We look forward to meeting the engineering genius in you!
- Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy Apps during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!
○ iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/paidy/id1220373112
For those who are not able to download Paidy App, due to the regional restrictions, please be advised that you download the similar App, such as Klarna, Afterpay, Affirm and so forth, and come up with your opinions on these applications and services.
What We Offer You
- Diversified team with 150+ colleagues from 30+ countries
- Exciting work opportunities in a rapid-growing organization
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Flexible work-from-home arrangement
- Competitive salary and benefits
Be a winner / 勝ちにこだわる
- Beat expectations / 常に期待値を超える
- Display surprising speed / 人をスピードで驚かす
- Embrace risk / リスクを恐れない
Own it and deliver / 結果を出す
- Commit to what, when and how to deliver/ 目的・やり方・期限にコミットする。
- Own the actions to deliver / 結果のためのアクションにこだわる
- Embrace conflict when needed to deliver results / 必要なら対立・衝突も恐れない
Play an integral role / 大切なピースになる
- Make an irreplaceable contribution to our business / 替えの効かない貢献をする
- Embrace and bridge differences in language and culture / 皆が言語と文化の架け橋にな
- Raise the bar / スタンダードを上げ続ける