At Nuna, our mission is to make high-quality healthcare affordable for everyone. We are dedicated to tackling one of our nation’s biggest problems with ingenuity, creativity, and a keen moral compass.
Nuna is committed to simple principles: a rigorous understanding of data, modern technology, and most importantly, compassion and care for our fellow human. We want to know what really works, what doesn't—and why.
Nuna partners with healthcare payers, including government agencies and health plans, and self-insured employers, to turn data into learnings and information into meaning.
In Nuna Engineering, we build technology to enable users (from data scientists to analysts to policy-makers) to understand healthcare data while ensuring its integrity, security and privacy. Our work runs the gamut from joining streams of messy real-world data to building queryable data warehouses to constructing visualizations and dashboards that provide actionable insight. We build systems that are auditable, as automated as possible, an accurate representation of the underlying data, and, most importantly, responsive to our end users' needs. We strive for a creative, collaborative engineering environment that implements best practices of peer review, readability, maintainability, and security of the code base and infrastructure.
The Nuna Web Engineering team is Nuna’s full stack application & frontend engineering team. We build Nuna’s user-facing web apps & APIs from the databases to the UIs. We work with the output of Nuna’s Data Platform, turning large datasets into innovative data visualizations, easy-to-understand dashboards, and highly reliable APIs. We are building for the long term with a focus on increasing engineer velocity across Nuna by maintaining a UI components library, an API-in-a-box kit, and standardized development and deployment infrastructure tooling for all of Nuna’s application development. We ensure enterprise-grade stability and startup-grade velocity by maintaining a well-tested code base and infrastructure that is secure-by-default.
Web Engineering builds every product our users interact with. We measure our products’ success by how much they improve care and lower costs. As an engineering-led culture, you will be at the vanguard of making healthcare work for all Americans. Today, you’ll be helping hospitals improve quality of care, enabling health plans to pay for quality-of-care not quantity-of-care, and matching patients to optimal doctors. Tomorrow, you’ll be creating even bigger and better products to shape this industry.
- You’ll build products that change the dynamics and incentives of the healthcare industry, changing a zero-sum game of competition between payers and providers into patient-centered collaboration.
- You’ll put data science magic (like predictive analytics and dynamic modeling) into our users’ hands through interactive features in collaboration with the Data Engineering & Data Science teams.
- You’ll design APIs and service architectures that multiply the effectiveness of internal and external developers serving millions of patients.
- You’ll build innovative and beautiful data visualizations that illuminate the path towards higher quality care at lower cost.
- You’ll manage our high stakes production environment, ensuring high availability/low latency and protecting our sensitive data with rigorous security.
- You’ll identify big opportunities to improve our technology and our products, blazing trails through ambiguity.
- You’ll mentor more junior engineers and, in turn, learn from more senior engineers, because we are learners, not knowers, and growing Nuna’s people is the most reliable way to scale our impact.
- You’ll work as part of a team, not in a silo. At Nuna we rise by lifting others
As a full-stack application engineering team, we need a wide array of skills as a whole. We want UX engineers, backend engineers, full stack engineers, and everything in between. No single engineer needs to cover every single dimension, so don’t take this as a literal requirements checklist. We're excited to talk with you if you bring some or all of the following:
- Experience building production-hardened web services, with consideration for security, performance, scalability, reliability, and repeatability. Familiarity with application server frameworks like Django.
- Experience with API design and service-oriented system architecture.
- Experience rapidly prototyping new product concepts, especially for enterprise clients.
- Understanding of automated testing concepts in web apps and the ability to consistently apply them.
- Knowledge of database fundamentals like indexing, SQL queries, schema migrations, and managing backups.
- Experience managing production services and designing smooth deployment processes, ideally in AWS.
Technologies used at Nuna
- Python, Django, SQL, testing tools (e.g. pytest)
- Linux, OS X
- AWS ECS, RDS, Security Groups, IAM, Lambda; Hashicorp Terraform and Vault
Nuna is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics and/or veteran status.