About The Role:
Remember the first time you solved a problem by programming? The delight and excitement you felt when it finally...worked? We want to deliver that experience to everyone by giving them the building blocks to create useful tools of all kinds—without needing to code. That's been the vision of computing pioneers since the 70s. Today, all the infrastructure is present, but we need your engineering to pull it off.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll work with others to build new product features from start to finish: through conception, research, implementation, and maintenance. For example, you might build an editor for inline mathematical equations.
- You'll help improve performance and reliability, or polish existing features. For example, you might make it easier to select text across multiple paragraphs.
- You'll build internal tools to support simplicity and productivity for the whole team. This might include writing a script to import user feedback into Notion.
Skills and Toolset You'll Need to Bring:
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Familiarity with the backend: You understand how parts of a system fit together—from the user interface to the data model. Experienced candidates should be familiar with relational database systems like Postgres or MySQL.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about the business impact of what you're building, and you prioritize projects accordingly. You're not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and how it shapes real people's lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
Nice to Haves:
- You're proficient with any part of our technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, and Postgres.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
- You have interests outside of technology, such as in art, history, or social sciences.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.