We are seeking a proven Senior Data Visualization Engineer to fill a key role in designing new visualization capabilities for Minitab products. The successful candidate will have a passion for data visualization, a proven track record of data visualization innovation, strong knowledge of the competitive landscape, and the ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Lead the user interface development and design of Minitab software products. This may include desktop, web, and mobile software products.
- Lead others in the Research and Design department to produce innovative designs across all Minitab products.
- Work closely with stakeholders to refine products and participate in gathering requirements from prospects, evaluators and customers and incorporate them into product designs.
- Perform complex design activities including the generation of mockups and/or prototypes. Solve user interface design problems with little or no supervision.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies, operating systems and user interface/user experience paradigms. Maintain an awareness of industry trends that will facilitate the design of forward-thinking user interfaces.
- Coordinate efforts to assess current technologies and monitor industry innovations. Document research and/or disseminate findings to team members.
Gather and analyze data to inform decision-making.
- Participate in an iterative design process with input from internal and external stakeholders.
- Assess and determine insights into how Minitab’s customers use our products by observing and interacting with customers while they use our products.
- Work closely with usability experts to acquire customer feedback via usability tests. Use usability test results to inform/refine designs.
- Communicate customer usage patterns, requests, and other relevant usability related information to other designers.
- Travel to customer sites for the purpose of gathering relevant usability related information to aid in design creation.
Facilitate Team Development.
- Coach and support team members.
- Participate in a culture of continuous improvement and demonstrate the best practices as defined within the Research and Design department.
- Bachelor's Degree (Master’s or higher preferred) in Human Factors, Cognitive Science, Data Science, Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, or related field.
- At least 8 years of experience in software development, design, or product management.
- Experience with at least one popular charting package such as D3.js, Highcharts, Charts.js, Plotly, WebGL
- Substantial expertise in data visualization, including effective communication, appropriate chart types, and best practices.
- Strong experience with commercial and open-source packages that specialize in visualization.
- Understanding of basic statistical routines with ability to apply to data analysis.
- Substantial experience with prototyping and design tools.
- Intimate familiarity with Human Interface Guidelines on relevant platforms.
- Very strong technical orientation with background relevant to product line.