MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
The Director, Media Relations, is an important member of the MaRS Marcom leadership team. You are responsible for the MaRS corporate reputation as well as working with a team of PR Managers to go above and beyond for our clients who include leading Canadian startups, investors and corporate partners. You will be responsible for delivering on agreements and ensure that campaigns run smoothly and that your teams are challenged and motivated.
You write, present concepts, and develop strategies to best suit your client needs and market trends. As a client leader, you’re responsive and flexible and willing to step in and support your teams whenever needed.
The director will work closely with Marcom colleagues to strategize and produce Op-Eds and branded content to be distributed internationally as well as on MaRS partner platforms.
The Director must keep on top of all the latest technology trends and proactively respond to coverage of fast-moving trends. Key to this role is developing media strategies to spotlight MaRS, our ventures and lead outreach that helps startup founders go from under-the-radar to recognized industry experts, and tell the wider Canadian innovation story.
The role also includes analyzing data, and keeping track of NPS scores of clients to show results and build the client pipeline.
The role requires an exceptionally strong writer and an ability to write great creative briefs and not be afraid to pick up the phone to pitch stories to leading journalists and publishers.
- Media Relations Strategy
- Oversee the strategy for PR Accelerator
- Execute the media strategy for a variety of clients and responsibility of managing a team of PR specialists and US PR agency to drive stories for our entrepreneurs and ecosystem clients
- The Director Media Relations works with the VP, Strategic Communications to shape the direction of coverage, and iterate PR tactics
- Work with the Marcom leadership team to develop editorial themes that form the foundation for all MaRS content and earned media opportunities
- MaRS Corporate Communications
- Work with the VP, Strategic Communications to develop the overarching MaRS PR strategy
- Work with our leadership team to identify PR opportunities that capture the vision of MaRS and fall within our editorial themes.
- Work with internal stakeholders to identify PR opportunities covering sectors from health to cleantech
- Draft, review and pitch press releases for new MaRS programs and announcements.
- Work with the office of the CEO on speech writing and remarks
- Work with the PR, Managers to track the performance of all MaRS corporate communications
- Client Management
- Assume responsibilities for our paying partners ensuring our account team are set up for success and delivering on expectations.
- Be the senior client lead while also giving the PR Mangers the platform to grow and take ownership of accounts
- Work with the PR Managers to establish the best account split ensuring there is a fair and balanced assignment of accounts
- Carry out frequent check-ins with our clients to identify further opportunities and ensure a strong relationship
- Manage the process of re-signing existing clients
- Responsible for the profit and loss of our PR clients
- Business Development
- Work with the VP, Strategic Communications on business development opportunities
- Business development opportunities will cover the full range of Marcom products and offerings
- Support will include developing product pitches, sales and closing deals
- Work with the VP to identify revenue targets and potential new clients
- Training Management and Leadership
- You will be a leader on the Marcom team, championing MaRS values and working with the entire team to support them in achieving their best work
- You will support the VP with annual planning, budgets and performance reviews
- Be a champion of the marcom work with internal and external stakeholders
- Work with the MaRS Senior Executive Team and the Leadership Council to bring the MaRS strategy to life and represent your team and senior leadership meetings. You will be the Marcom ambassador and champion
What You Bring
- Education & Certification
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant field – journalism, public relations or communications preferred, or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 10 years working in daily media or public relations
- Experience in tech, innovation, startups and business preferred
- Key Competencies
- A creative and strategic approach to solving problems and overcoming challenges
- The proven ability to secure media coverage in mainstream Canadian and/or U.S.-based press
- Established media contacts in Canadian and/or U.S.-based press
- A strong understanding of the news cycle and the story elements required to successfully secure coverage
- Proactive and collaborative team skills and the ability to manage shifting priorities
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation
- Have an interest in and solid understanding of the tech topics of today from AI to blockchain
- Have a passion and interest in media, messaging and storytelling
- Project manager and agency experience
- Broad enterprise client experience across technology and business
- Ability to identify and pursue new business opportunities
- A team-player with strong leadership qualities, and proven ability to delegate and manage a team
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
Application submissions are due by Sunday June 20, 2021
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.