Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta’s products enable payment authorization decisioning, cardholder data security, instant card issuing, in-app provisioning directly to digital wallets, and real-time funding with our exclusive Just-in-Time (JIT) funding.
As a Sr Principal Engineer, you will help us scale the technology as our business continues to grow while staying focused on shipping software that matters to our customers. You will help to innovate on various aspects of the platform used by our engineering organization to deliver high quality, highly scalable, and highly secure products to our customers.
We have a number of teams that work on challenges like:
- Building and driving the technical vision for new development platforms used across Marqeta to deliver our software
- Card Fulfillment, Cases/Disputes Management, Tokenization, Commercial Payments, On-boarding, SDKs
- Building a modern credit-issuing service to power the next generation of payment innovators
- Multiplying the force of Marqeta’s product engineering by developing common foundational systems that are incorporated into all of Marqeta’s products
- Web applications & products around fraud
- Work with the engineers from various teams to execute on both short as well as long term technical vision for Marqeta’s product platform.
- Drive performance, scalability and resiliency through our products and into the DNA of the organization overall
- Guide in capacity planning for our customers as they grow and scale
- Effectively collaborate with peers from colleague organizations Product Experience and Security Engineering
- Raise the skill sets of those around you and make Marqeta better through your presence. Mentor other engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction.
- Apply and evangelize modern best practices in your software designs and implementations.
- 10+ years of hands-on engineering experience.
- Deep experience in modern Software Systems.
- Demonstrated passion for non functional challenges namely: Scale, Cost, Reliability, Performance, High Availability
- We use Java, Python, & Go throughout the business but welcome experience in different programming languages.
- Experience with transactional RDBMS such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, or Oracle. Any experience with scaling large, transactional systems and data sharding would be welcome.
- A strong passion to write code with great quality and test coverage.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
Bonus points for
- Experience with Payments
- Production Experience with modern engineering and cloud tools
- Having previously guided the transition of an organization from monolith-based development to microservices-based development
- Experience in software delivery pipelines, CI/CD systems, and software deployment and orchestrations systems such as Kubernetes
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.