Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta is looking for a Lead Strategist to join the Strategic Planning team. You will be accountable for ensuring Marqeta aligns behind a strong Operating Plan in service of delivering on corporate goals. This role will bring insight and value into how the organization is tracking against key goals and objectives. You will have an eye on cross functional initiatives and be able to identify blockers to success. Your management and understanding of our goals will empower Marqeta into our next stage of existence.
Among other important questions, the ideal candidate will always be asking and answering the following:
- How is this work in service of our corporate strategy and goals?
- What cross functional dependencies will hinder or empower success?
- How does the corporate strategy empower decision making?
Ultimately, both Marqeta's Executive Team and the company as a whole will be relying on you and your partners to provide information, insights and recommendations on the most important questions it faces in advancing Marqeta's business into the future. You'll be expected to be an active member of the team managing Marqeta's annual and ongoing business planning process. You will coordinate efforts across the organization that result in clear goals, business and product strategies and ultimately, an operating plan.
Enable the Strategy Planning practice at Marqeta so that we achieve company goals around becoming the Standard for Modern Card issuing - here are a few key expectations:
- Know the Product and Tech: Quickly get up to speed on Marqeta's technical capabilities, the unique features and customer benefits our platform offers and how to speak with confidence, knowledge and credibility about what we bring to our customers.
- See Around Corners: Use your expertise on our goals and objectives and track progress against each. Understand dependencies and blockers and communicate with stakeholders to ensure a clear line of sight on deliverables. Bring parties together and lead progress towards outcomes.
- Organize the Vision: Be the authority on where we are going and what we need to do as an organization to get there. Empower the organization and stakeholders with a Plan and track progress against it.
We are on the hunt for the following attributes:
- 3+ years’ experience with strategic planning or operations within the payments market
- Strong understanding of the payments ecosystem, with a particular focus on the card issuing side
- Strong communicator with ability to explain, simplify and convey the relevance Corporate Goals into specific milestones across the company
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously; highly motivated and able to work against aggressive schedules
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, presentation written, email)
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently
- A person of strong character and integrity, who can consistently represent Marqeta’s values, contribute to Marqeta’s culture and inspire direct reports and our entire organization to exceed expectation
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook and a clear focus on high quality deliverables. A natural forward planner who critically assesses their own performance and craves high quality feedback from colleagues. Reliable, tolerant, and determined. Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view. At home in a high-paced, intense but informal start-up environment.
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Monthly stipend
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet Insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual "Hack Week" to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.