Are you looking to join an innovative organization powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit, and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have an expertise under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.
We are seeking an engineer interested in data problems that likes working in a team environment, thrives on leveraging open source tools and wakes up every morning thinking about how to make data use and data solutions more efficient. The Sr. Data Engineer is expected to be a problem solver for Marqeta’s growing data needs, be able to deliver on projects in a timely manner while juggling multiple priorities, and proactively ideate with the broader analytics and data team. An ability to interact and communicate with technology and business team members is crucial to meet project objectives appropriately.
Help develop and enhance a data environment consistent with industry best practices and cutting edge approaches. Develop, document, maintain and support of a nimble data access solution able to both provide ready access to existing data features and incorporate new features in a timely manner. Work with business partners to clarify requirements when necessary to create both high level and low level design docs. Operate in time-sensitive environment with competing deadlines, by appropriately prioritizing the short and long term paths based on an Agile development process.
- 5+ years experience with production level Java
- 5+ years experience in designing and developing data modeling & mining, ETL, data warehouse, deployment and infrastructure management, and performance tuning (custom or structured ETL, preferably working directly with large data environments)
- History of designing, building and launching extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines to move data (both large and small amounts) throughout Data Warehouses.
- Experience in building large-scale, distributed systems using Java (preferred) or Python.
- Experience developing distributed applications using Kafka, Kinesis, and or Pub/Sub
- Proficiency in big data technologies: Spark, Hadoop, Hive
- Experience with git, github, and the pull request workflow
- Positive outlook towards work, strong work ethic and ability to work in a team environment
Bonus points for
- History building data science or analytic products
- Familiarity with statistical analyses and econometric models (e.g. linear regression, hazard rate modeling, time series forecasting, exponential smoothing)
- Experience in large data environments
- Background in payments (Good Domain knowledge on Financial Services Industry)
- Experience with Amazon Redshift, Redis/Elasticache, Snowflake
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Be a member of an exceptional team - we’re growing and your career and opportunities with us will, too!
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Generous Paid Time Off plan
- Market-leading fully paid Parental Leave
- Retirement savings - 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual Hack Weeks to support and reward innovation
- Beautiful downtown Oakland office in a great location, with stunning views of Lake Merritt
- Conveniently located close to public transportation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Commuter and Parking monthly subsidy
- Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays, and more!