Hello there! 👋🏼
We’re looking for a designer experienced in visual, brand, and UX design interested in applying their skills 🧠🎨 in service of a more just and equitable world ✊.
About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere 🌍🌏🌎. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the team
Khan Academy currently employs around 250 full time staff, including the creators of our educational content.
There are currently 15 people on the design team. They come from a very wide variety of backgrounds, such as media (Vox, Disney), civics (18F), consumer (Square, NerdWallet, Facebook), enterprise (IBM), service (Starbucks) and the agency world (frogdesign, 2x4, Instrument). There are four design managers who each lead product verticals, and a functional lead for User Research. The team is about 50% remote, and operates in a very creative remote-friendly way, with members in California, Washington, Oregon, Maryland, and New York. You can read more about them in our Khanversations series on Medium here.
About the Senior Designer Role
The Senior Designer role at Khan Academy is an incredible opportunity for anyone who wants a straight shot at applying their skills in service of a more just and equitable world. Our brand and products are truly making a difference in the way that millions of students experience and perceive learning – not only as individuals using devices, but as ecosystems of communities with teachers, parents and districts, and as collective social experiences in the classroom.
As Senior Designer, you will work primarily with the design team that supports our brand & visual language. You’ll create, drive and enhance projects large and small that help us deliver on our mission. As a designer, you are a strong generalist with a keen eye for visual design, user experience, and storytelling. You have a holistic approach to design and are able to execute both high quality visual design, as well as thorough user-flows and interaction design.
As a member of our close-knit design team, you’ll collaborate with teammates from user research, product design, product management, engineering, business development, philanthropy, marketing, and learning content.
What you’ll do
- Work with teams across the organization to craft high quality, meaningful, engaging experiences across brand, visual language, marketing and philanthropy campaigns.
- Collaborate with other designers, brand thinkers, and storytellers to help us evolve our visual language and user experience, and their relationship to the company’s mission.
- Offer strategic guidance on how to incorporate engaging visual language into effective user experiences.
- Provide thoughtful feedback and art direction to internal and external illustrators & designers.
- Educate and advocate for design and conceptual cohesiveness across brand, marketing, product, and content.
- Identify and evangelize for injecting moments of joy into our communications, culture and product.
- Create design style guides and document best practices.
- Evaluate our current platform and communications surface area and identify opportunities to improve user experiences, meet strategic goals, and boost learning mindset.
- Facilitate workshops and conversations that help other teams incorporate visual and emotional design.
- Autonomously decide how to approach a design problem and organize your own work.
- Move between creating rough sketches to high-quality drawings to communicate your solutions. Use user research and data to inform your style and reasoning.
- Present to and incorporate feedback from stakeholders from Product Design, Engineering, Product, and Brand.
A good candidate must have
- 5+ years experience in the design industry (ideally experience in both interaction design and visual design) or comparable experience
- Strong visual eye/sensibility.
- Ability to balance individual design work with strategic thinking and developing broader visual systems.
- A rich and diverse portfolio showing evidence of different types of projects, visual maturity, and attention to nuance.
- Ability to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team.
- A deep curiosity about how and why people learn - and how they respond to visual and emotional cues.
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
An ideal candidate would have
- Experience with accessibility and designing for a very wide array of audiences, including school-age children, teenagers, and young adults
- Experience crafting illustrations for digital products and understanding various platforms (iOS, Android, Desktop, Mobile Web etc) and product design needs.
- Highly proficient with current visual tools with knowledge of how to hand off assets for production (and sometimes collaborate directly with engineers to arrive at solutions together).
- An interest in and care for how design can lead to inclusion or exclusion of different audiences
- Excellent presentation, communication and documentation skills.
- Motion design skills
- Experience working with copywriting, and understanding of verbal identity/language best practices.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Learn More about Our Design Team: https://medium.com/khan-academy-design
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.