Software Engineer, Data Engineering, London or Switzerland
We are initially looking for experienced data engineers - Senior, Principal, Staff or equivalent levels.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to join a new Alphabet company that will reimagine drug discovery through a computational- and AI-first approach.
We are assembling a world-class, multi-disciplinary team who want to drive forward groundbreaking innovations. As one of the first members of this pioneering organisation, you will play a meaningful role in building this team, embodying an inspiring, collaborative and entrepreneurial culture.
This early-stage venture is on a mission to accelerate the speed, increase the efficacy and lower the cost of drug discovery. You’ll be working at the cutting edge of the new era of ‘digital biology’ and advancing a new type of biotech that will deliver transformative social impact for the benefit of millions of people.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to work on a greenfield ML-based software platform that will transform the biopharmaceutical world as we know it.
Working in a highly creative, iterative environment, you will be partnering with leading engineers, scientists and ML researchers to build the critical platform driving that transformation. This is a newly created role and you will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution.
What you will do
- Develop and operate computational pipelines for ingestion of reference, external, and internal scientific data sets, including experimental and synthetic data.
- Develop data stores for effective storage and computational use of the data by machine learning models and other data-driven products.
- Develop and operate data generation services.
- Develop and support data management toolkits in use by the wider organisation.
- Develop and execute processes for effective and secure data handling and version control.
- Partner and collaborate with a diverse set of teams incl. science, research, product, business development and operations
Skills and qualifications
- Experience in data engineering at scale
- Strong knowledge of data management tools and technologies including ETL frameworks, database engines, and file and object stores
- Experience with modern ML systems, frameworks, and data lifecycle
- Experience building secure/scalable platforms/products on cloud
- Experience with life sciences data, including bioinformatics, computational chemistry, and biomedical research
- Experience partnering with research and product teams
- Strong software engineering experience with software design / architecture skills
- Extensive enterprise programming experience writing production code using any mainstream programming languages, e.g. Java, C++, Python, Go
- Demonstrate ongoing career progression / trajectory and a passion for learning
- Either a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
Nice to have
- Strong experience in Python
- Basic knowledge of biology / chemistry
- Experience working with biomedical data
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, ideally with a focus on drug discovery
- Experience building, deploying and maintaining production systems on GCP
- Exposure to data curation
Behaviours and attributes
- Grounded and original thinker: you combine the best from industry with new ideas and creative approaches, taking well-informed risks to advance progress
- Motivated by purpose and impact: Self-directed, chooses the most effective path to maximise impact in pursuit of higher level purpose, operates at pace with a clear bias for action
- Experimental: Comfortable with ambiguity, embraces new ideas, responds quickly and adapts to maximise opportunities
- Collaborative and inclusive: you are willing to go the extra mile and work beyond role remit, building strong partnerships with a variety of collaborators
- Curious mindset: Strong interest in self-development, learns from setbacks as well as successes
Isomorphic Labs welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
It would be helpful if you could answer the following questions. Your application won't be effected by the answers you provide, the information is helping us to understand the profile of individuals interested in joining IsoLabs.