Intercom is creatively fixing... 🛠️
How internet businesses connect with customers for more human conversation. Our teams are ambitious and humble – learning, solving and celebrating together.
We’re one of the fastest growing tech companies:
• 400+ employees worldwide
• $1M to $50M Annual Recurring Revenue in 3 years
• 25,000+ customers
• 1,000 new customers monthly
Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Customer Support is the fastest growing team in Intercom. We went from 5 teammates at the start of 2015, to 50 in 2016, and we kicked off 2018 just shy of 100. We help our customers 24/7 and have teams based in Dublin, San Francisco, Chicago, and Sydney.
We’re looking for a Senior Manager, Customer Support for Chicago to plan, build, and run a highly performing team, while managing all aspects of delivering an exceptional customer experience. You will report directly to our Director of Customer Support and be one of the key leaders on the team.
Support in Intercom is different to most other companies. Our way of providing support is based on the principles of continuity and trust and our style of communication is personal, friendly and fun. We engage in dynamic conversations with our customers and are big fans of visual communication (think emojis, stickers, GIFs) - we believe that visual support is human support!
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You will manage, develop, and coach a group of ambitious managers to become more effective at managing and developing their own teams of 6-8 individual contributors
- You will run day to day support operations for Chicago/SF in a data informed manner:
- Capacity planning – you will work closely with Operations partners to accurately forecast future hiring, and will be solely responsible to plan and execute holiday coverage, decreased capacity due to training, etc.
- Hiring – you will teach and mentor your team on how we hire, help to curate our hiring process by expressing feedback often and driving the team to maintain great recruiting experiences for candidates
- Scaling - you will grow our team by creating opportunities for teammates to shape their own progress
- Goal setting - you will make sure the team is working towards goals that reflect the company strategy and measure progress towards those goals effectively
- Operational excellence - you will develop, evaluate, and execute processes and policies to improve our level of service
- Tracking - you will use data to track and better understand opportunities and shortcomings
- You will work directly with other functions to ensure that support has the context and input required in order to deliver on our support goals
- You will teach, and embody, our Intercom company values and team operating principles
- And finally, you will contribute directly to the strategic direction of the team by offering regular, radically candid, feedback and input to the Director of Customer Support
What skills do I need? 📖
- 3+ years experience managing in a Customer facing or process driven function, preferably in a tech startup or other high-growth environment
- Minimum of 1-year experience managing a team of people-managers
- Passion for teaching, developing, and growing the people you work with
- Proven experience in management practices within a complex and matrixed environment, combining great people intuition, business judgement and discretion in your decision-making
- Successful track record of designing, implementing, and validating processes and policies
- Exemplary customer service skills and understanding of what it takes to succeed in a front-line customer support role
- The ability to handle multiple projects and competing priorities (ability to make trade-offs effectively) and adapt rapidly to a fluid, high-growth environment
- Team player with a strong sense of ownership and “get things done” attitude
- 4-year degree or equivalent from an accredited university, highly desired
- Occasional (2-3x per quarter) travel required
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid parental leave program
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- In-office bicycle storage
- Keep active with our wellness program that allows you to expense your gym membership and other sports activities up to $90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!