The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 20,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 350 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Do you have a desire to put your visual, interaction and motion design skills to great use and build a world-class software product? How about guiding the future visual direction of Intercom?
Our Design Systems team is hiring a UI Designer in Dublin. You'll get to flex your design muscles, work with a wide range of designers from across the company, and really uplevel the UI design quality and polish our products.
The Design Systems team creates our UI component library and tools for accelerating workflows of Designers and Engineers. This is much broader than creating generic interface components like buttons and toolbars. We take a component-based approach to how we build. We think of the core objects in the Intercom system, like customers, conversations and messages, as reusable components as well.
Intercom is a design-driven company. Two of our founders (our CEO and CSO) were designers. Our VP of Product was a designer. Most of our product managers were designers. Members of our small group have already joined us from design teams at Facebook, Google, GitHub, Yandex, and a range of respected agencies and startups. With a strong design culture and complete buy-in from the very beginning, this is a place where you will have the opportunity to do the very best work of your career.
What will I be doing?
You'll work with our Design Systems Team to:
- Lead an effort to dramatically update the visual & interaction design quality of our web and mobile apps. This includes working with our Brand and Product Designers to set direction and Engineers to implement changes
- Design a modern and thoughtful UI component library. Go beyond designing general UI components and design a full stack design system
- Work with Product Designers on other teams to provide them with thoughtful and actionable feedback on their visual & interaction designs to raise our bar for UI design
- Work closely with Engineers to implement your designs at a high degree of quality
- Create tools that accelerate workflows for Designers and Engineers (e.g. Sketch plugins, templates)
This position is based with our core product and engineering team in Dublin, Ireland. We're more than happy to generously relocate the right candidate, including significant others, kids, pets, etc! People have left San Francisco, London, Paris, and many other places to relocate to Dublin and join us on our hyper growth journey.
What skills do I need?
- Highly refined visual, interaction and motion design skills and the ability to communicate rationale behind decisions
- Strong understanding of classic interaction design principles and how to use them
- Experience designing and shipping digital products and systems, not just websites
- Ability to generate attractive ideas in a wide range of visual styles
- The ability to create high-fidelity interaction prototypes
- Experience designing experiences that people can access on any type of device, desktop, tablet, phone
- Good eye for detail. You value quality and polish in the work that you and your team produce
- You are an excellent self starter who can deeply collaborate with Engineers
- You thrive in a fast paced, constantly changing environment
Bonus skills and attributes
- Experience working with and creating pattern libraries, and passion about design systems and models such as atomic design
- You enjoy writing and speaking about design
How to apply
Use the form below and make sure to include a link or a PDF file of your portfolio with examples of designs that you’re most proud of. Ideally you should include a brief explanation of your design decisions for the examples provided: what’s the problem you were trying to solve and how did you approach it?
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.