Intercom is redefining how businesses support their customers using powerful messaging and automation.
Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Lyft Business, rely on Intercom to deliver efficient and personal customer experiences at scale. Intercom is used to send over 500 million messages per month and enables interactions with over 600 million monthly active end users.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through in-product messaging, and so much more!
What's the opportunity? 🤔
As part of the Business Operations team, you’ll drive key decisions and initiatives in collaboration with stakeholders across the company. We’re looking for someone who exhibits intellectual curiosity and analytical rigor to take on challenges that span the breadth of our business. You’ll get your hands dirty in the process. You'll construct persuasive cases for and against certain courses of action and follow through with execution. You'll have executive-level visibility and a finger on the pulse of the overall business. You’ll act as an example and mentor to both people on the team and outside the team. This is a great opportunity to impact the trajectory of a rapidly growing company.
What will I be doing? 🚀
Business Operations works on the highest impact business problems we face. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders across the company to steer key initiatives designed to address these problems. Such as:
- Build consensus and deliver a commitment on the right course of action. Partner with cross-functional stakeholders (R&D, Finance, Marketing, Sales, Support, etc) to operationalize that commitment and see the resulting initiative through to a successful outcome;
- Develop business cases for Intercom to invest in new markets or steer new initiatives by gathering relevant context / data and building sound financial models to inform the right course of action;
- Assess Intercom’s business and identify opportunities for improvement to support our company strategy and organizational priorities. Develop corresponding action plans and lead cross-functional partner teams to address the opportunity and demonstrate meaningful improvement.
Some examples of the projects you could work on:
- Develop business cases for Intercom to invest in new markets, new product offerings, or deliver improved business performance through other channels; working with teams across the business to drive strategies and recommendations all the way through to reality;
- Become a subject matter expert in one or more of our business; contribute to the creation of the “winning strategies” for those areas; and provide insights and opinion on those areas on an ongoing and proactive basis;
- Closely partner with our finance, business analytics and data teams to assess the health of our business systems and revenue reporting infrastructure for an executive audience. Deliver a unified dashboard that concisely communicates in which areas of our business we are doing well and in which areas there are opportunities;
- Establish and run an ongoing cadence of business performance reporting including recommendations on what can be improved and coordinating with stakeholders on the ownership and actions.
As the above list suggests, you should enjoy variety in your work, be comfortable with ambiguity and have an insatiable drive to make an impact.
What skills or experience do I need? 📖
- You have 5+ years of experience in technical or quantitative fields including significant operating experience within a technology company, with a mix of Finance, Analytics, Operations, management consulting, and Product roles;
- You should have a solid understanding of subscription-based businesses and SaaS metrics such as MRR, Churn, CAC, and LTV. Additionally, you should have some familiarity with general GTM funnel concepts and metrics including Self-serve vs Sales-led, PLG, Sales pipeline.
- You perform data analysis (and partner with the Data Science teams) to define key performance indicators; use them to better understand our business; identify opportunities and threats; and persuasively communicate findings to cross-functional stakeholders at all levels;
- You communicate effectively in written (documents and emails), visual (charts and decks), and verbal forms, and are able to calibrate communications for audiences of all levels;
- You have an appetite to absorb data (quantitative & qualitative) from a variety of sources (SQL, customer interviews, Sales rep data, competitors, product behavior, dashboards, meetings, etc.); connect it; and be able to draw a “so what?” conclusion;
- You have a proven commercial sense, i.e., be able to connect a course of action that Intercom takes to the impact on top or bottom line figures and other leading indicators of business performance;
- You are comfortable writing advanced SQL from scratch and designing and developing high quality Tableau dashboards;
- You have a basic working knowledge of statistical concepts (but you don’t have to be a data scientist).
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
The base salary range for candidates within the San Francisco Bay Area is $152,000 - $206,000. Actual base pay will depend on a variety of factors such as education, skills, experience, location, etc. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All regular employees may also be eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.