Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more!
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom’s Legal team is seeking a dedicated Counsel or Senior Counsel to lead the company on legal matters involving privacy and cybersecurity, as well as help support other Compliance initiatives. You will advise and partner with our engineering, product, security, sales, marketing and other teams throughout the organization to manage legal risk and compliance with global privacy laws and regulations. You will develop and effectuate strategies and initiatives that focus on building a scalable privacy program, as well as educate and train key stakeholders on prioritizing data protection as a core value for Intercom. Furthermore, you will help develop and evolve other legal and regulatory compliance initiatives involving subjects such as anti-bribery and anti-corruption, competition, antitrust and trade.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Provide a wide range of subject matter expertise and resource on privacy, security and data protection
- Work with teams worldwide on various privacy, security and compliance initiatives
- Partner very closely with your colleagues on Intercom’s legal team on a number of cross functional projects with privacy and regulatory compliance implications
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global privacy laws
- Provide guidance and interpretation on legal requirements to the engineering and product teams with respect to existing and new product features and functionality for privacy-by-design initiatives
- Respond to customer and employee questions about their individual data rights and Intercom’s processing activities
- Draft data protection impact assessments
- Analyze privacy law developments and provide analysis and guidance for implementation into business processes
- Counsel and advise commercial teams and business partners on data protection related provisions in contracts
- Assist in the formation and management of a cross functional enterprise risk management committee, on which you will play an integral role in its ongoing viability and success
- Support projects in other key compliance areas involving our Code of Conduct, anti-corruption and anti-bribery, antitrust and competition, and trade
What skills do I need? 📖
- 5-8 years relevant experience as an attorney with a law firm or in-house legal department advising a multinational SaaS company on global data privacy regulation and laws
- Deep experience with global privacy regulations, which include GDPR, the ePrivacy Directive and CCPA-CPRA. Working understanding of Australian Privacy Act, HIPAA, PIPEDA and desire to learn LGPD and upcoming regulations
- Foundational knowledge of key security programs such as SOC2, ISO and HIPAA
- CIPP/E or CIPP/US certification
- A level of comfort in influencing and educating an organization on the importance of privacy and implementation of privacy initiatives, and capable of gaining respect of senior leaders in the organization
- An ability to multi-task which includes handling a variety of legal issues simultaneously
- Attention to detail, a sense of passion to support Intercom’s privacy initiatives and the versatility and confidence to take on challenges that are presented to you
- Experience with other legal compliance subject matters such as anti-corruption and bribery, antitrust and competition and trade a plus
- California state bar licensed attorney or ability to be registered as in-house counsel if licensed in another jurisdiction
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.