Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Our subscription management systems and data are at the heart of how we package, price, sell and manage all of the products and services that we build. When they work well, they accelerate the efficiency of our Go To Market teams, enable faster growth of our business and deliver a great customer experience. This role has the opportunity to directly influence the trajectory of Intercom’s overall business growth and to positively impact the productivity of our Sales, Finance and Growth teams.
The organisation is well-positioned to drive real impact in supporting our Go To Market teams - to establish one source of truth for all of our important metrics, to create seamless user experiences, to set us up to do business the way our customers demand, to coordinate on changes we make in one system for its impact to others, to set Intercom up to scale, and so much more.
As the Senior Engineering Manager responsible for our Billing and Subscription Management team, you’ll lead the team providing services and support to our Sales, Finance and Customer Support teams. You’ll enable the team to successfully deliver solutions that allow us to scale how we sell, and invoice for Intercom.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Partner with engineering, Sales, Finance, and R&D leaders to define a vision, strategy and roadmap for our billing systems.
- Work autonomously on critical, strategic problems for Intercom, driving execution toward simple, effective solutions. At Intercom, Engineering Senior Managers are empowered to set their teams up for success how they best see fit
- Enable your team to achieve high levels of productivity, performance and reliability. Build your own opinions of how teams can be successful in Intercom, sharing your learnings and empowering those around you
- Teach, mentor, coach and be a role model to other engineers and engineering managers. Develop and support engineers in their personal growth and career progression, creating a collaborative, inclusive and supportive team culture
- Contribute to our Engineering Programs. At Intercom we run org-wide programs to drive growth across a wide array of initiatives, from “Technical Strategy” and “Organisational Excellence” to “Diversity & Inclusion” and “Growth & Recognition” - you will help shape our culture and evolve our ways of working
What skills do I need? 📖
- Demonstrated impact in a similar leadership role across multiple teams or a strategic area.
- The ability to collaboratively lead the evolution of your team’s strategy, setting unambiguous roadmaps and goals for the team.
- The ability to think cross-functionally, and to drive or make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Experience managing a diverse set of stakeholders, particularly Sales and Finance stakeholders.
- Experience with Finance, Billing and Sales Systems, ideally Zuora and Salesforce.
- Experience with SOX compliance, and the Order to Cash process.
- The ability to lead your team to deliver on its roadmap in a predictable and sustainable, healthy way.
- Experience building an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing team culture.
- Experience developing and supporting engineers in their personal growth and career progression.
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- The ability to be clear and concise in communication.
- Be a visible role model for, and coach to other Engineering Managers for all of the above.
Working at Intercom
Our culture is open, friendly, and inclusive - and this is something we are proud of. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We want to help people grow and do the best work of their career and we want everybody to work with co-workers who value kindness, optimism, and positivity.
We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high potential engineers on rapid trajectories. We’re opinionated by default, for example we run less software and ship continuously. We’re technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we’ll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
Help us build a world-changing product, a long-lasting company and the most effective team possible. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work and we need experienced engineering managers to help us grow.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.