What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are looking for an experienced Group Engineering Manager to lead our Engage group. You will manage a team of engineering managers and be responsible for delivering sustainable results while creating an engaging and inclusive engineering culture. You will partner with Product and Design leaders owning the strategy and development of the group. Take your engineering leadership experience and help us build and evolve great products in a scalable and reliable way.
The Engage Group consists of three teams that are responsible for our Conversational Marketing and Engagement solutions. We are consistently investing in building complex, but reliable and great products that work at scale. In the past year, we shipped Banners, Series and entirely rebuilt our infrastructure to support breadth and depth of outbound messaging capabilities.
The product is a great source of established revenue that we are looking to protect and grow. You will work with a huge variety of customers - from small companies up to enterprises using Intercom for complex workflows. It plays an important role in our strategy as a differentiator to our Support offering. On top of that, we are on a multi-year mission to create a product that supports all customer messaging and you can help us get there.
This role is based in Dublin but in line with our COVID guidelines, candidates can work from home anywhere in Ireland and will not be required in the Dublin office through to June 2021. Intercom will support new candidates with an initial work-from-home stipend and an ongoing monthly stipend.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Partnering with product, design and engineering leaders on leading and evolving multi-quarter product vision and strategy for a cohesive group of teams,
- Partnering with Principal and Staff Engineers to develop, evolve and be accountable for the engineering strategy that will enable your organisation to build software fast, in a reliable, available and secure way
- Managing, coaching and growing a team of experienced engineering managers that will be your most impactful leverage in creating high performing group
- Creating a collaborative, inclusive and supportive culture in your organisation
- Foster and continuously improve a high bar for performance among engineers in your group
- Being responsible for the execution of all projects within your organisation, creating culture, setting processes and principles that will drive execution toward simple, effective solutions
- Autonomously evolving a structure that will enable your organisation to achieve results - including rituals, processes and team remits
- Driving change in our engineering organisation and culture by owning organisation wide initiatives
What skills do I need? 📖
We recognise that sometimes these lists can appear as strict requirements, but that’s not the case. Even if you feel you have a subset of the experience below - that’s ok, we’d love to talk to you!
- Demonstrated impact in a similar technical leadership role, and demonstrated technical credibility
- Experience developing and supporting engineering managers in their personal growth and career progression
- Experience managing teams that work with highly scalable, distributed systems and evolving them over time to changing requirements
- Experience leading and partnering on developing engineering strategy that has an impact of building better, faster and more reliable products
- The ability to collaboratively lead the evolution of the strategically important area of the business
- Experience creating alignment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders throughout senior leadership
- Experience building an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing culture, individually and through managing managers, focused on delivering software in a predictable and sustainable, healthy way
- The ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment with a high degree of autonomy
- The ability to navigate your organisation through change, uncertainty and difficult situations
Working at Intercom
Our culture is open, friendly, and inclusive - and this is something we are proud of. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We want to help people grow and do the best work of their career and we want everybody to work with co-workers who value kindness, optimism, and positivity.
We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high potential people on rapid trajectories. We’re opinionated by default, for example we run less software and ship continuously. We’re technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we’ll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
Help us build a world-changing product, a long-lasting company and the most effective R&D team possible. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work and we need experienced engineering managers to help us grow.
How will I be supported?
- You’ll report directly to the Director of Engineering, who’ll start you off with a great onboarding plan
- You’ll learn from and work with other Group Engineering Managers
- We invest in individual career development through training and coaching, dedicated to senior management.
- We pay competitive Dublin market rates in cash compensation and reward high performance
- Our current focus is profitability and we grant stock options so our people can share in our success when we get there
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- We offer fully funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage for you and your dependents
- We offer a genuinely open vacation policy - most of our folks take 30 days of paid time off every year
- We pride ourselves on an open, friendly collaborative and diverse office environment
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Great customer relationships start with Intercom. We build solutions for conversational marketing, conversational support and conversational engagement through our business messenger, management tools and customer data platform. Valued at over $1bn, Intercom has been ranked among the best on the Crunchbase unicorn leaderboard since 2018. In our 9 year history, we’ve built world class products as well as world class sales, marketing and R&D functions.